Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Thumping Noise When Applying Brakes - video of noise included

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  p10der 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a video of the noise I heard last night.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9586/wys.mp4

Noise occurs when I apply the brakes. It's coming from the front right wheel.

In the video, I'm already applying the brakes. Noise starts immediately at the beginning of the video and I'm coming to a stop at the end.

Out of 10 videos this was the only one that captured the noise.

Rotors = look fine
Brake pads = I can't tell visually, but probably needs to be replaced.

I was meaning to visit my mechanic this morning, but I got home late last night so I ended up waking up late.

Any idea what might be causing this noise? The noise slows down when I slow down. If you are familiar with this noise/problem, how dangerous is it to drive on it?

Thanks for any advice.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would first go buy pads and rotors for ATLEAST the front. I would recommend all around, along with calipers all around. I would dissasemble each wheel and inspect your calipers for frozen pistons, leaky seals...etc. If they all check out OK, slap the pads and rotors on and go...then return the calipers. Replace calipers as necessary.

Sounds like you are either:

1. Really low on your brake pads.
2. Your rotors are warped.
3. You have atleast 1 frozen caliper.

That's my guess anyways. Kind of hard to decipher from an audio clip.

#7 · (Edited)
Noise is coming from the rotor/caliper

I managed to get down to the shop and while riding in the passenger seat while my mechanic was driving, the noise was coming from the rear right wheel.

DR - I was planning to get all the brakes done, new pads & rotors and replace any seized calipers.

The caliper in the rear is definitely frozen. Never worked since day one.

Lug nuts are rusted up, but they're on there tight.

My question for you guys is what are your thoughts on those ebay rotors and brake pads? They a bit cheap, but not if they're made from inferior grade metal and wear out quick. I don't want to get new pads/rotors installed every 3 months.

That's the only thing that's held me from getting the brakes done. Not sure what brands to us.

For the P11 owners, what kind of brake pads, rotors & calipers are you using?

Also an idea on how long the brake parts stay shiny before they get all rusted up?

Thanks DaveRacer, P10Der LemyWings for responding.

I would have responded sooner, but I had to go somewhere. Just got back a little while ago.

Looks like I'll have to get the rest of the exhaust system done as well.

Any recommendations for mufflers?

Happy Turkey Day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.