Stock size tire selection for 94-96 G20
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Stock size tire selection for 94-96 G20

G20 Junior Member

Stock size tire selection for 94-96 G20

Hey guys, I need to replace my front tires ASAP, and rears probably within the next 6 months. So I'm curious... The stock tire size is 195/60/14 up until 93, or 93.5 or whatever. Then they switch to a super awkward 195/65/14 for the 93.5+. This size absolutely sucks for variety, and performance tire options.

195/60/14 has a few more options, so I was wondering, what have all of you done when putting tires on your stock wheels?

Put the 60's on and dealt with the inaccurate speedo?

Put the 65's on and be satisfied with non performance tires?

Put the 60's on and modify the speedo/speed sensor?

Let me know! Also open to budget minded performance all season suggestions!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

i have run the 60s a lot and just not bothered to deal with the inaccuracy. i would be interested in a solution though, maybe something on the cluster is adjustable.

G20 Junior Member
    I thought maybe the speed sensors would be interchangeable. But that would be easy to find out from the dealer. I'm not sure if the calibration is different in the sensor or in the cluster. Hope someone knows.

Here's what I'd do if I didn't have money for 4 tires.

1) call 2-3 used tire places on 82nd and see what they have

2) choose the best tires available

The speedo is only off 3% its not a big deal. My speedo is off by 7% since I'm running 205/60/15 S13 wheels. Whatever.

G20 Junior Member
    I know used tires are a possibility, but thats not what I'm looking for. I would rather spend a little extra on the bottom of the line new tires.

I want to know what other people have done in my situation. I would like to keep the stock sized tires, but it is a very uncommon size. Some don't mind the inaccurate speedometer, but I do. I will probably try to find a fix for it before investing in a set of tires that is not the stock height.

IMO buying bottom of the line new tires is just as bad as buying used tires. you can get some used good tires with like 60-70% thread left for the cost of new "bottom of the line" tires. I don't know if there is a fix for the inaccurate speedo but i think most people just suck it up and deal with it.

G20 Junior Member
    [QUOTE=bxdiplomats247;1580242]IMO buying bottom of the line new tires is just as bad as buying used tires. QUOTE]

Except new tires will have a warranty, and free rotations and flat repairs. That is of value to some. I plan on legitimately wearing these tires out (from lots of miles, not racing/burnouts, but hopefully some autocross).

I'd consider used tires more if there were any in my city. There aren't, and the 1.5 hour drive to get to a city with an abundance of used tires adds enough cost/time to not make it worth it anyway.

I sold my 240sx that I owned for a very long time that had compromises like this. The speedo never worked in that car, and in other ways it was not a very usefull family/commuter car. What I want out of this car is more usability for me and my wife, and hopefully some performance. Little things to you like speedometer accuracy are important for me, and worth consideration. No disrespect if its not a priority to anyone else, its important to me. I'd like the car to drive as close to new as possible.

G20 Member
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm planning for my next tire purchase and I would like to check for the current wisdom on replacing tires on a 96 G20.

I have the stock 14" rims on the car. I have had the car since it was new, and have watched as fewer and fewer tires are available in the OEM size. I found the original Michelin MXV4's to be the best, but they are no longer available. I'm currently using Falken Ziex ZE-512 Tires, but I don't think they are available any more. There are only two tires available in the OEM size on the Tire Rack web site. I need a good all season tire that is not noisy. Falken seems to make a ZE-912 that will fit, but Tire Rack doesn't sell it. Can anyone suggest a good source for the 912?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

G20 Member
    I bought some 912's on friday from a local shop in size 205/50/16 for 05 sentra wheels. It's OEM but an upgraded version.

here is a sales pitch: With the fewer options of OEM tires for the 14's, buy new wheels.

or just hope that someone here will sell you their stock used tires.

G20 Senior Member
    I ended up switching to 195/60s because of less options. I bought hankook optimo line. I forget which number it is but they were all season tires. Low road noise, very comfortable, had good grip, and lasted a long time. They were 40k mile tires. It's getting harder to get good tires in stock 14 for cheap. 15s are the more common size that seems to have more options. If you like the look of p11 wheels on a p10, I recommend getting a set when you can, stock look with a few more options and ride quality is still there for the sizes that fit like 195/55 15.

Yeah, I'm afraid now that even minivans come with 20" wheels, finding good tires in smaller size is a thing of the past. As much as I love the stock p10 wheels, I think moving up to some 15 or 16s is the best option.

Early p10s used a cable Speedo, new one is electronic. I dont know if the actual gears on the sensor are interchangeable.

I personally didn't like the little 60 series tires, I've always liked the bigger ones. I'm running 205/45-17 now, it is a 24.3" tall.
    Last edited by trbobrk; Jun 30, 13 at 05:07 PM.

**Official Chat Killer** Snickers's Avatar
    I think the gear wheels etc are the same but the one on the diff migh be different. The 91-93 used a 4.058 final drive instead so when you put in a 94+ trans the speedo is off until you run the larger 65 series tires.

I also think the car drives better with taller tires and looks Better as well
    P10 + Autech + Air Jacks + Cage + Z34 brakes + 20v + 625 inconel header +.......Some assembly required

G20 Member
    Thanks for the input. If I see some P11 wheels for a good price I may consider that route. However, they would have to be in great condition at a good price. My car wants to stay stock and it will be a big hurdle for me to convince it to make a change. The G is 17 years old which is the equivalent of being 100 in human years. It is kind of set in its ways.

Otherwise it looks like my options in the OEM size are:
    General Altimax RT
    Kumho Solus KR21
    and perhaps Falken Ziex ZE 912's

I may change to the 65 series and see what is available there as well.