Troubleshooting Brake Lights not coming on: Brake Stop Switch?
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Troubleshooting Brake Lights not coming on: Brake Stop Switch?

G20 Member

Troubleshooting Brake Lights not coming on: Brake Stop Switch?

1999 G20 Auto

I just replaced the trunk to trunk lid harness cable because my old one is all chewed up. License plate light, reverse, parking lights all come on. When I step on the brakes, the lights do not come on (or if they're on because I turn the parking lights on, they don't get brighter).

Fuse:
    The fuse looks okay but I swapped the fuse with another 15A fuse and it didn't make a difference. I don't have a multimeter on me to test the continuity. Update: Fuse tested good

Lose cable or ground:
    It may be a lose cable as I have a spoiler that was added to the brake light circuitry. (My model originally didn't come with a spoiler, but has a center stop lamp) It has all worked before but I don't know why it's messed up now. Update: Tighten ground connectors near antenna.

Stop lamp switch (behind brake pedal):
    I haven't checked out this part yet because I have some basic questions before having to go under to pull this part. I know in some P10s, if the brake switch was bad, the car can't be shifted out of park. My shifter is fine and I hear the click when i gently tap the brake pedal. This means the switch is good right? Someone mentioned I can try setting the cruise control and see if taping the brakes will disengage it. I will try this tomorrow. Any inputs on this part? Update: The cruise control disengaged when I hit the brakes and of course the car shifts out of park with the brake depressed without any problems. Because these two things work, Can I rule the stop lamp switch out as good???

Burnt Bulb:
    I guess as a last resort, I will replace all the bulbs. Don't have a whole lot of confidence in this fix though.Update: Replaced all bulbs including high mounted stop lamp
    Last edited by TrueKnight; Apr 26, 12 at 10:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

G20 Member

Solved

Picked up a stop lamp switch from Travis - awesome member here and tried to change it out myself by lying upside-down on the drivers seat. I'm too fat to reach in there so took it to my local shop. They swapped it out and charged me 15 bucks. Mechanic says there's actually three switches by the brake pedal. One for stop lamp, one for cruise shut-off, and one for shifter lock release. Any ways, it works great now.