Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

No muffler flange

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Dennho 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I think my muffler is getting a bit loud now, and its pretty rusty so I'm sure internally its getting bad. There are no holes in it, but I am sure its coming from the muffler. I am running OBX headers with copper gaskets, new downpipe, bad cat though.

I took my car to a Midas a year ago and they did a crappy job putting a crush bent cat back on since my old piping rusted off (while on the road, luckily I had duct tape to hold it back up). They installed a pipe with a new resonator on it by welding it straight to the cat without the flange, so they got me there. I know they probably did this for a couple reasons: 1) its cheaper and gets the job done quick 2) I can't DIY anything without a welder now so they want me to come back for more business.

Anyways, if I buy my own OEM style muffler, can you just cut the flange off it? I notice a lot of stock mufflers come with a mounting flange that makes it "bolt on", assuming everything else in the exhaust was stock. By cutting the flange off, can you use some type of coupling device to clamp the muffler down onto the pipe? I see that the previous owner did install some type of mounting hook in the 3rd picture, near the hanger. How did they do this, and what parts would I need? Cause I always find pictures of mufflers like this online and I'm sure it won't bolt on.

The two nuts are bolted down to something holding the muffler in place. Whats this thing called?

I also need to order a new cat which will most likely need to be installed at a shop since Midas deleted my flange and welded it straight on. My cat isn't pictured, but its rusty and they said its bad.

See less See more
#2 ·
a quick search comes up with these pipe clamps. personally i hate them since i live in a salt state once they clamp down i have to break them to get them off.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...F37B0FB89F09F3EB24B37F5417494A719DE16&first=0

or you could use 2 of these and a piece of piping big enough to cover the gap.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...F6EFEF1AFBEC4297DD0C86261A9C83FF523EA&first=0

you can also buy bolt on flanges like this:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/Scot808/a1dc_1.jpg
pipe clamp that to your catback

i would guess your local autoparts place could get you what you need or you would have to do some homework and find out what sizes you need and get em on the net.

#3 · (Edited)
I see ... so I would have to cut the muffler off with a plumber's pipe cutter or dremel, and the use the one bolt flange (3rd link) to mate the new muffler to the cat back? The first link has something that looks like it can vary in diameter size. I'm not sure what the measurements are of the flanges, if they will slip right over my exhaust perfectly, and if they're too small, does flaring them make them wider? I think I can find a 2'' flared clamp.

Does a universal muffler just come with a straight, open end?

I am not sure how well Midas has shaped the cat back at the bends, and if they are lined up to fit the OEM g20 replacement, even if I put a flange on it.

Will be easier if I measure carefully, and then cut it at the very end to mate two straight pipes, after all the bends? I'm thinking of a few options, but I'm not sure which is the correct way to approach it. I know exhausts are something that are hard to DIY at home, so worst case scenario I buy my own parts and have a shop install it.

#4 ·
that should work using a bolt on flange. my p11 has one of those between the cat and resonator, i bought it from a muffler shop. i told him what i needed and he found it for me.

honestly the only IDY exhaust job i have ever done was on my p10 and i bought the ENTIRE exhaust new. header/flex + Cat + resonator + muffler i bought everything with flanges and just bolted it all on.

#5 · (Edited)
Oh I should have asked this before, do you need any type of exhaust cement to seal out any leaks? And yeah, I had a feeling that once your exhaust is changed in any way at a Midas of all places, I'm sure nothing is going to fit exact anymore. Although their resonator with my headers do make it sound nice. I'm not looking to make any more noise than I already do, and my intake box was removed and replaced with a cone filter /velocity stack funnel connection thing at the MAF housing. Definitely faster than stock.

Thanks for the pointers guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.