Hole in "flex pipe" ?
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Hole in "flex pipe" ?

Hole in "flex pipe" ?

ok so my car is making a sound like there is a hole in the exhaust (93.5 P10), so I take it to the mechanice to have it checked out. He tells me there is a hole in the "flex pipe" before the cat. Is that like the headers? or is there something between the headers and cat that is called a "flex pipe" ? He told me a bunch of stuff that sounded like bs after that about prices and cuting it and fixing the pipe and whatever... so I figured I'd see what I can find out here.

93.5 P10: Sold
    96 S14: Track / Summer Toy
    05 Saabaru: Daily

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

G20 Senior Member littlerudegirl's Avatar
    Find someone who may have just ordered new headers and ask them to purchase their old OEM flex pipe... I forget who I sold mine to, was it Fray?? He had a hole in his flex pipe, and I think brand new they're like $200?

Originally posted by DaPCWiz
    He told me a bunch of stuff that sounded like bs after that about prices and cuting it and fixing the pipe and whatever
    Why would he cut the flex pipe to fix it, theres a hole in it already... but like I said, try to find a used one or just use some duct tape

Those little wire things is what flexes and that is the flex pipe (downpipe), it is there so when you haul ass with your engine movement, the pipe doesnt brake, as you do know your engine moves when you drive at different RPMS. It drops back and goes forward, the flex pipe flexes to accomodate the movement because if it wad a hard pipe it would have broken long ago. The wires somehow probably dragged something which made a hole in it. Buy a new downpipe for like $100, i always see P10's in junkyards and the downpipes are $35

thanks for the info guys, it is greatly appreciated

Thats what were here for buddy!!

i don't know if i'm too late on this thread.. but to throw is some more info... a flexpipe should not cost more than $100 to be replaced... i had my hotshot header flexpipe replaced for $75 flat...

if you go to midas or any type of "big name" exhaust place they'll charge a lot more...

but if you go to a smaller shop, it shouldn't cost that much...

and small shops do decent jobs too...

once again thanks for all the info... I got one more question. I live up in NJ, do you guys think my car will pass emmisions inspection w/ a hole in the flex pipe? I'm due for inspection this month

My story.

This is what happened when my flex pipe needed replacement...

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread....threadid=11352

G20 Senior Member
    you will NOT pass inspection with an exhaust leak of any kind, especialy before the cat.

a good temporary fix is some muffler tape (when it heats up it hardens) but that wont hold for long. nows a good time to get a hotshot header. thats what i did when i got a hole in my pipe. think about it even if you go used a flex pipe installed could cost up to $100, and thatsa good price. you can get the hotshot header for around $390 now (i bought mine last year from sr20development for $410)

HS claims 12HP and 10 ft/lb of torque i dont know about that much but there is a big diffrence in power.

get the header it comes with a new flex pipe!!

BTW if your realy cheap and dont care about preformace you can get a pacesetter for real cheap, i think there like $200 brand new

G20 Member
    Same thing happened to me. Apperently the flex section holds moisture which causes it to rust faster. If you go to Midas or any where else they will want to replce the whole header. This will cost 400+ easily. The place i guy i went to can get just the flex section and weld it on. he charged $140 for the new section and labor, which is a lot cheaper than replacing the headers. Its common for a lot of older cars for this problem, it happened to my old car, and my sisters. I guess northeast weather will do that to cars.