Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Ipad fits in double din place

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TheGiver 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed an Ipad in place of their double din radio? I noticed that the Ipad is the exact width of the bezel. If you cut the bottom off your bezel you could mount an IPAD there and then angle it straight down. My picture is just a very quick mock up. You could relocate the climate control to the bottom and slide the ipad all the way to the top.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you mount it you can angle it away from the shifter, actually make it vertical and that seems like it would work pretty well. Tesla's have like a 12 inch tablet in their cars.

Here is a 7 inch tablet. It can fit too, just need to dremal out some plastic. Hardest part is turning it on. Would have to solder in a switch.

#5 ·
Just curious... Why a tablet? You will lose literally all functions of the radio itself. You would only be able to play whatever is on your iPad, or whatever can be streamed assuming you have a 3G enabled device or a WiFi hotspot from your phone connected to it.

#6 ·
I hate the radio. All they play is ads every 10 minutes. So I'm down for just MP3's. My wifi work out to my garage so I can just download all my music. With a few thousand songs it works pretty well. Also I an use GPS navigation or some racing apps to time my laps at the track. I just find the tablets are very versatile.

#7 ·
Thats true. I've seen it done many times, just never in a G20.

GPS needs to see the sky, so make sure it works before installing. :)

#8 ·
I once ran a tablet in my P11 in addition to a Pioneer D3. In the daytime, you'll get lots of glare when trying to mess with the tablet. In the night, if you're lowered, you'll get reflection from headlights behind you. I fixed that by putting a matte screen protector on my tablet.

The D3's map data is no longer being produced, so everything's out of date. I'm considering installing one of the Car Joying or Pumpkin Android headunits, but am waiting until they have a built-in battery for instant-on.

Keep in mind, though, running a tablet in your dash is more than just putting a tablet in the dash. You'll want to wire power to it, you'll need an amp for sound, and unless you want to do more work, you'll be missing front/rear balance and good EQ.

Also, there are dash kits that will allow you to drop in a tablet, which would allow for you to keep your stock radio in place, which you could use to retain the stock amp and (limited) EQ. Just get an auxiliary input cable for the CD changer port and it will sound halfway decent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.