My G20 won't start............PLEASE HELP
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My G20 won't start............PLEASE HELP

Unhappy My G20 won't start............PLEASE HELP

Well, just yesterday I went to start the G20 to take it on a little cruise and then all of the sudden it won't start!!! When you turn the key, all the lights come on and the radio works fine. The battery is perfect. There is no clicking sound, it just acts dead. I have checked every fuse and electrical connection under the hood. I am very puzzled as to what it could be. I haven't had any problems starting it, and now it acts dead. Do I have some sort of starter problem? Any other suggestions? I really don't want to trailer it to the dealer.....

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

um....

this may be a really dumb question but are you getting fuel? is the gas tank full? Is the fuel pump working?

Yep, the fuel pump is good, the tank is 3/4 full.

Nobody f's with the Jesus Yahnozha's Avatar
    Your starter is either 1) Dead or 2) the ground to the starter is bad, check those two and Ill be youll find your problems....especially if there is no "click" If not, it may be the switch in your column, but everything else works so that is probably not it...

If you can yank your starter, most auto parts places will check it for free...
    P@ = Pat - No longer "The Man" - Odd greenish P11 Daily Driver (170K) - 01' Pathy 4x4

"says here on your chart" P10 WRC's Avatar
    can you push start it? it might still be your battery, mine did that where everything worked it just did not turn over. you should push start it and take it to autozone and they will check your battery, and your starter for free.

If you have a 5 speed, the clutch pedal has to be almost touching the floor in order for it to start. I guessing it's an automatic, though. In that case, buy a 5 speed: they're much more fun!

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see that the battery is giving you enough voltage.

The same thing happened to me last September.
    What I did was take a piece of wood and tap the starter (car on jackstands, of course) and then the car would start. The brushes in the starter were going bad and a little tap on the starter housing would help the car to start again. You can either replace the brushes or buy a remanufactured starter.
    I took my starter to my local Pep Boys and they tested my starter and it worked fine for them. So, if the starter has just started to go bad it may not be diagnosed at your local parts store.

After replacing my starter, I have not had any problems with starting the car.

Good luck.

G20 Newbie

Same thing happened to me

The same thing happened to me about 5 months ago sometimes it would start and then sometimes it would play dead but all the lights and radio came on. It is the starter that needs to be replaced, trust me its nothing else when it comes down to it if you dont replace the starter, quick fixes will only prolong the inevitable. To check if its the starter or not take a hammer and hit it from underneath and that will release the coils inside of it. Then I bet your car will start.

same shit happened to me too. my lights an radio an everything worked but it wouldn't start. At first it just happened randomly, maybe once every week or two it would die and i'd have to push start it. Then one day it just shit the bed. I got a new starter and haven't had a problem since. I'd say it's definatly your starter that's junk.

starter / battery failure

The give away as to whether it is you battery or starter is: When you crank the bad battery, everything else will die too. The load from the starter (20+ amps) drags the whole system down.

The starter failure: Everything else will work fine. Turn your highbeams on - if they work your battery is probably good. Starter failure has TWO major symtoms: 1) you turn the key and nothing. It's the starter silenoid (relay). 2) You just get a click. The starter it self.

Like someone else mentioned: Make sure you connections are clean and Tight. Corrosion and loose connections can produce similar failures.

STARTER

This just happened to me today. It worked when I went into Dunkin Donuts but when I left nothing ... I needed starter shop anted $ 366 part and labor...

I bought used one from Andre Miko for $75 bucks and learned to do it myself....

G20 Newbie
    Mine did that one day, the problem was remedied by opening the gas tank. When this happened, a rush of air came out (or in, I don't remember). Car started up just fine after that

Don't know how or why, but it worked, and haven't had that problem again

Re: starter / battery failure

Originally posted by P10 WRC
    can you push start it? it might still be your battery, mine did that where everything worked it just did not turn over. you should push start it and take it to autozone and they will check your battery, and your starter for free.
    I never knew we could bump start our cars with the electric ignition? Maybe I was wrong

Originally posted by Money G20
    If you have a 5 speed, the clutch pedal has to be almost touching the floor in order for it to start. I guessing it's an automatic, though. In that case, buy a 5 speed: they're much more fun!
    You dont need to depress your clutch on a nissan 5spd to start em.

Originally posted by 95Gee20Tee
    The give away as to whether it is you battery or starter is: When you crank the bad battery, everything else will die too. The load from the starter (20+ amps) drags the whole system down.

The starter failure: Everything else will work fine. Turn your highbeams on - if they work your battery is probably good. Starter failure has TWO major symtoms: 1) you turn the key and nothing. It's the starter silenoid (relay). 2) You just get a click. The starter it self.

Like someone else mentioned: Make sure you connections are clean and Tight. Corrosion and loose connections can produce similar failures.
    I agreee with this suggestion

"says here on your chart" P10 WRC's Avatar
    trust me you can push start any manual car ever made

nice to know, I let out my clutch all the way going downhill and it wouldnt turn over

with my p.o.s. 91 sentra gxe, if it does that, i pop it into neutral (if you have an automatic) and it starts EVERYTIME. i also rally with that car so thats probably why i have that problem. i just bought a new starter so its not the starter on that

G20 Newbie

Wink

I am going to change my starter today for the veary same thing. It took 2 weeks to find the problum. But It is the Starter for sure. I hade the charge SYS checked all fusea and relays. Even the kill switch for the alarm. I found that when this happen the last time I tapped the starter with a little hammer and the bitch started right up. It sounds like you have the very same thing have. But I am fixing it today. I have 135K an this the only thing that that has gone wrong. I LOVE MY G-20. So I say do the starter.

Good luck.

G20 Guru
    GTA_G20,

Actually on my new 2002 G20 you can not start the car if the clutch is not pushed all the way in. This may be a safety feature put on the P11 models.

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the clutch. On every manual transmission car you have to depress the clutch in order to start the car. It disengages the clutch disc so it won't turn the transmission. So if your car is starting with out depressing your clutch then you likely have a bad clutch or a tranny problem.

G20 Guru
    Brit,

Actually no you do not have to push in the clutch to start a manual transmission car. All you have to do is put the transmission in neutral. While the clutch will still be connected to the engine, the gear set in the transmission will not be, so the drive shaft is not going to turn. Most recent cars have an ignition interlock on the clutch pedal to keep people from starting their cars while still in gear. In this case you have to push in the clutch to start the car even if you are in neutral.

John