Battling the gremlins and other such adventures
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Battling the gremlins and other such adventures

G20 Newbie

Battling the gremlins and other such adventures

In a 2000 P11 that had a egr issue turned out to be broken wires in the connector

Then died on me one night, failed spark test, at first I thought it was this wire (CPS)

fixed that but still didn't pass a shake test, turned out the plug insert little tabs were acting as a pivot point on the pin when the plug was pushed towards the engine due to being old and the plug being worn so cut the tabs off

the top 4 have already been trimmed in the pix the bottom 2 still have the little tab I'm talking about, did that for the coil signal plug also (the two wire one on the distributor) and has been running fine since, and passes a hard shake test along with a directional push test.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

Those are the locks, they will probably rattle loose now keep an eye on that. Those wires are worse than my 96 looks like it's been overheated a lot . Take the oil fill cap off while it's running . Lot of blow by?

G20 Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MFNchip View Post
    Those are the locks, they will probably rattle loose now keep an eye on that. Those wires are worse than my 96 looks like it's been overheated a lot . Take the oil fill cap off while it's running . Lot of blow by?
    No not the lock part, it's backward in the pix from the way it goes in the tabs on the right side facing toward the pix are the little tabs that go in and lock the tab that holds the connector in the plug, the wire was rubbing where it goes in the plug which exposed the wire, soldered a new section of wire from the connector to past that part with the bad insulation..... I will replace the plug when I have a chance. She has 254k on the clock so yea more then likely could use some new rings and seals but doesn't smoke so doing good for now. I might pull the oil cap off and check next time I'm at the shop so I can clear the lean code right away. Part of the way the wire looks is from me heating it up to pull so that when I pulled on the wire it would come out if the wires inside were broken and was going to replace it so didn't worry about damaging it, but had to be to work the next day and didn't have any solder at the moment so was just doing a patch up job to get me to work then to the parts store and home again so I could fix it for good..... which was adventure of driving till she died get out wiggle wires restart ect ect, which if I would have realized what the real issue was in the first place I could have just tied the plug back and been fine for the day. Living in the desert has done some damage to the plastic parts for sure, there are some small cracks on the end of the plug which is what allowed it to rock causing the pivot point against the tab pushing the pin away from the part of connector that is meant to make contact which I tried to bend down more but there is not enough room to bend it out more to the point that it would make a difference so thats when I cut the little tabs off....