Starter issue
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Starter issue

Starter issue

OK so my starter was slowly getting weaker and was taking longer everyday. Replaced 3 months ago. So went to the yard and found 1 looked almost new was thinking this is the tits. In parking lot I changed it, all tight ready to go and CLICK. Shit. This sucks. So had my girl calling all the yards and had to get a new 1 from advance, kinda iffy like a scrap yard right. While she was calling was looking at the old one. The terminal wire to the solenoid (magnetic switch) There was 1 frayed stray wire touching the case. WTF . so whoever rebuilt it didn't solder it all the way and it was wrapped underneath all frayed. How I missed that when I put it in I don't know. But put it back in hoping to get 1 more start to get to advanced and it started strong as when I first got it. Probably still have to get a new one soon but gives me time . Just a thought for whoever might have to change a starter and check this out. Also this IS a 1 man job. No intake remove and loosen up the y bracket. Slide starter in and hand tighten the bottom bolt down all the way in from the bottom then go up top and do the other.
    Last edited by MFNchip; Mar 15, 17 at 10:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

G20 Member
    Good catch on the frayed wire! I have been running an Advance reman starter in my G for nearly three years now and it works great. Just in case I have an OEM spare that I rebuilt myself on the shelf to install. I was able to snag one from a forum member to rebuild. Most replacement parts like brushes and bushings are still available on the web.

The V bracket that covers the starter can I use the single bar from p11 or just fab my own? That thing is a pain in the Dk. Looks like some weight to it too.