[Videos] Can you identify this noise?
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: [Videos] Can you identify this noise?

[Videos] Can you identify this noise?

Hello G20.net. Seeking your help in identifying a noise coming from what seems to be where my drive belts are. Its sounds like plastic vibrating/clacking against metal and is only present at certain RPMs. I have not been able to spot any plastic components or panels vibrating within the engine bay.

Any insight is much appreciated! Find below a video from within the car, above the engine, and below the engine.

In Car

See below a couple more videos

Update May 18, 2017

-Loosened the alternator tensioner and the sound got louder
    -Tightened the alternator tensioner and the sound went away after commuting to and from work. On the 25 mile drive to work, the sound would come on at around 4000-47500 RPM, and also at around <1000RPM
    -The offending sound is all but gone as of my latest drive. Sound only seems comes on when I have the air conditioning turned on now
    Last edited by misterxadobo; May 18, 17 at 10:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

Above Engine Bay

Below Engine Bay

5. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

Alternator bearing sounds like. Take the belt off and start see if it's there still. if its gone open the alternator and clean and regrease. It's easy there is a pinhole in the back to hold the brushes down when you put it all back together.
    P.S. stay away from those belts when it's on, did you see that video I posted?
    Last edited by MFNchip; May 17, 17 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFNchip View Post
    Alternator bearing sounds like. Take the belt off and start see if it's there still. if its gone open the alternator and clean and regrease. It's easy there is a pinhole in the back to hold the brushes down when you put it all back together.
    P.S. stay away from those belts when it's on, did you see that video I posted?
    Thanks MFNchip

Is there a specific part of the alternator to clean a regrease? Should I just replace the alternator altogether if I'm taking it out?

Brushes?

Also no I haven't seen the video you posted. Where is it?? I'm curious now

There is bearings on each side. A bigger one under the pulley you have to remove pulley to get too. And a little on the back shaft. I used electronic cleaner and cleaned everything and let dry in the sun. You'll see if brushes need replaced when you open it. They should spring out half way through the round space in the back where the commutator shaft part connects to it. Make sure its dry before you put it back on. And if you grease it back up before driving it to much you might not have to replace anything yet. Make sure the belt is at FSM spec . Too tight = screwed bearings, too loose burnt belt. The video is in Wire Spool thread. BE extra careful when working around spinning moving parts. O and use lithium EP 2 grease for bearings. They are sealed bearings but you can use a paper clip to open it just keep it flat as possible, and use same paper clip to hold down brushes
    Last edited by MFNchip; May 18, 17 at 08:56 AM.