Brake/Battery light on
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake/Battery light on

G20 Newbie

Brake/Battery light on

After starting the car tonight, I noticed the Parking brake and Battery lights were on. As the RPMs increased, the lights began to fade away, then became bright again going into the next gear. The car ran normally the whole ride home. After pulling over and turning everything off and restarting, the problem persisted. Putting the brake on just made the brake light become more bright, until I took it off.

My first guess is the alternator or the battery itself is going bad, but anyone else have any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

My does something similar occaisonally. Sometimes when I start up, the brake and batt. lights stay on. When I release the handbrake they dim slightly. If I reverse it doesn't affect them, but if I go over 10mph forward they turn off. I have always just dismissed the problem as 'character'. Maybe it's a switch sticking or something?

"says here on your chart" P10 WRC's Avatar
    oh yeah that's your alternator or your battery, you need to go get that shit checked out. mine did the same thing and then i had to replace the alternator and the battery. you might be able to stop any further damage by getting it checked early. mine did it for about a month before my battery got wasted

G20 Newbie
    ok cool, thanks

I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow morning~

G20 Newbie
    Word from the shop-

after popping open the hood, we noticed antifreeze was leaking from the hose onto the alternator. the clamp came loose and antifreeze slowly came out, making the alternator screw up. The lights are out now, and if it keeps up I don't think i'll need a new alt

News from the shop: My alternator is on its way out!!! Why am I happy? It's under warranty!!!

G20 Member
    Hey, I have a 93' and tha brake light often comes on, and I add brake fluid, and it remains off for a little while, but I've asked around, and no one else has to put break fluid in theres as often as I do.........Do I have tha same problem....any help will be appriciated!

"says here on your chart" P10 WRC's Avatar
    no your sensor is doing exactly what it should be and that is telling you when you have a brake problem. you have a leak somewhere in your brake system, most likely the hoses to the calipers since under the hood is solid teflon coated lines, so unless you bent them they won't leak. just keep an eye on your brakes

G20 Member
    ok, thanx!!!

i have a similar problem too. lately when i start my G the brake light stays on. My E brake isn't pulled up at all, and after a little driving sometimes the light goes off. And sometimes it dosen't come on when i start up my car. anyone got any clue what my problem is?

Ok, this is kinda out there but it happened to me one day. there is a little boot and flap that are around the e- brake and if the little flap gets tucked under the handle then it pushes down on the sensor and makes you think the e-brake is on even when it is not. Granted i figured this out after like five minutes becuase it was pissing me off but this is just a simple stupid thing to check. It happens when you pull the e-brake up to far.

duuuuuuuuuuuuude!!! after reading what you just said im pretty sure that's what my problem is. I've been driving around for like a week thinking somethings wrong with my car(haha). thanks for the help.

I have the same problem with my 96. The Brake and Battery lights come on kind of dim sometimes.

G20 Newbie
    mine recently just did that to so its the alternator?

This kind of stuff is usually the alternator. It's worth testing the battery as well but it is most likely the alt.

f*ck, this just happened to me! both the e-brake light and battery light came on simultaneously. when i punch it, the lights turn off, but will come back on within a minute.

i've had a GSpec crank and waterpump pulley for a while now, and just recently deleted the AC with a shorter belt (P/N recommended by GSpec). could this have contributed to this issue occurring?

G20 Senior Member
    check the voltage regulator plug, same thing happens to my girls car, the clip that holds it in broke and it backs out sometimes

**Official Chat Killer** Snickers's Avatar
    That brake sensor warning light comes on when charging voltage gets low because the abs will not function correctly

Yes as everyone said, alternator problem, could as well have a bad battery that is shorted out too.
    P10 + Autech + Air Jacks + Cage + Z34 brakes + 20v + 625 inconel header +.......Some assembly required

my car did the same thing.. ended up being the alternator

Ok, thanks for the input everyone. I'll try all the suggestions in order from cheapest to most expensive, lol.