Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Brake/Battery light on

21K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  P11Gdub 
#1 ·
After starting the car tonight, I noticed the Parking brake and Battery lights were on. As the RPMs increased, the lights began to fade away, then became bright again going into the next gear. The car ran normally the whole ride home. After pulling over and turning everything off and restarting, the problem persisted. Putting the brake on just made the brake light become more bright, until I took it off.

My first guess is the alternator or the battery itself is going bad, but anyone else have any ideas?? ;)

#2 ·
My does something similar occaisonally. Sometimes when I start up, the brake and batt. lights stay on. When I release the handbrake they dim slightly. If I reverse it doesn't affect them, but if I go over 10mph forward they turn off. I have always just dismissed the problem as 'character'. Maybe it's a switch sticking or something?

#4 ·
ok cool, thanks :)

I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow morning~

#5 ·
Word from the shop-

after popping open the hood, we noticed antifreeze was leaking from the hose onto the alternator. the clamp came loose and antifreeze slowly came out, making the alternator screw up. The lights are out now, and if it keeps up I don't think i'll need a new alt :D

#10 ·
i have a similar problem too. lately when i start my G the brake light stays on. My E brake isn't pulled up at all, and after a little driving sometimes the light goes off. And sometimes it dosen't come on when i start up my car. anyone got any clue what my problem is?

#11 ·
Ok, this is kinda out there but it happened to me one day. there is a little boot and flap that are around the e- brake and if the little flap gets tucked under the handle then it pushes down on the sensor and makes you think the e-brake is on even when it is not. Granted i figured this out after like five minutes becuase it was pissing me off but this is just a simple stupid thing to check. It happens when you pull the e-brake up to far. :monkey:

#12 ·
duuuuuuuuuuuuude!!! after reading what you just said im pretty sure that's what my problem is. I've been driving around for like a week thinking somethings wrong with my car(haha). thanks for the help.

#16 ·
f*ck, this just happened to me! both the e-brake light and battery light came on simultaneously. when i punch it, the lights turn off, but will come back on within a minute.

i've had a GSpec crank and waterpump pulley for a while now, and just recently deleted the AC with a shorter belt (P/N recommended by GSpec). could this have contributed to this issue occurring?

#22 ·
i've had a GSpec crank and waterpump pulley for a while now, and just recently deleted the AC with a shorter belt (P/N recommended by GSpec). could this have contributed to this issue occurring?
Can be the pulley. Pulley was so bad it hardly spinned the alt causing the battery to get low on power and leave me stranded...
i asked that initially, it probably contributed. that's what happened to my AC condenser, outer bearings were shot so i deleted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.