Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

HowTo: P10/P11 Replace Valve Cover Gasket

39K views 78 replies 30 participants last post by  dytrdr1028 
#1 ·
I'm not like the most experienced car guy, but I do like to do stuff myself when I can, I enjoy it. Yesterday me and some friends replaced my valve cover gasket and I'm very proud of myself, as well as really happy that I got to see under the valve cover. Here are pics!

edit: also, mad props to my friend G who helped me out a great deal with this!

the gaskets have arrived!

the valve cover cleaned before we open her up

G (burningsquirrels) claims to be a domesitc guy, but you can clearly see here that he's crazy about imports!

me working on the car

the motor opened up!

the timing chain

the diiiiiirty valve cover

the valve cover being cleaned with simply green and water

using my mom's hair dryer to dry out the valve cover! LOL :p

another shot of the motor

my friend cleaning the edges as we prepare it for the new valve cover

the gaskets and sealant being applied

the valve cover is ready to go back on!

the cover back on, to see the completed assembly, check the first pic ;)

See less See more
#9 ·
mcguiver7 said:
so those gaskets are reusable?
No. What he is stating is that you don't put RTV gasket sealant all over the "new" valve cover gasket, only on the half moon sections of the gasket when replacing it.

What they did was major overkill, but should not cause any problems.

#11 ·
mcguiver7 said:
so those gaskets are reusable?
Well technically it is a gasket, so it's supposed to be replaced every time you pull the valve cover. But honestly, most people reuse them unless they are really old and/or dried out. With all that RTV all over the place, that gasket wont be reusable, though. Itll also be a lot of work to clean the mating surfaces if you ever pull the cover again. Just cleaning the 3 half-moons with a razor blade is a pain in the ass!

- Greg -

#12 ·
The inside of your engine looks alot cleaner than the inside of the one I changed.. The underside of the valvecover was black... nothing but burnt on oil.. it was NASTY!!! Oh and when I installed the gasket I installed it completely dry without any leaks.

Scott

#13 ·
if you pile it on heavy enough the first time around, you can pull it off like a spaghetti string, lol. a razor gets it off easy. besides, it's not like he's going to take it off all the time. no mods planned at all, he's saving up for a 240.

once he gets that, then i get to have fun :cheeky:

i wonder where i could pull a few complete 240 motors... hm... :cheeky:

#16 ·
abdulmo86 said:
how did u clean the cover and ur engine bay is clean what did u do to clean it

burningsquirrels said:
arjun used a standard engine degreaser, simply green.

personally, i like cheap oil eater with water for general cleanup. for small parts i use brake cleaner.
G - thanks for replying for me :p

abdulmo86 - the engine bay has been untouched as far as cleaning... the only thing I cleaned was the valve cover and a little bit of the surrounding area - and as G said, I used simple green.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.