Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Axles removal- Plan A or B??

11K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  StangG20 
#1 ·
I know there are two schools of thought on clearing the knuckle to pull out the axle:

1. FSM protocol- unbolt the steering/lower ball-joints/king pin, supposedly requiring a realignment after.

2. Pull the two long bolts through the control arms.

I've been using Plan A (including replacing both lower ball joints), just had the alignment checked, it was fine and did not need adjustment, although the camber was off a tad due to the strut towers being a little off?? Man said it had nothing to do with the work I did with the ball joints. Seems to me if you don't mess with the tie-rod ends, you shouldn't have to get it realigned.

I haven't tried Plan B, so I really can't comment on that, but others seem to swear by it.

#31 ·
I haz donez it!

Axle removed! It only cost me three flatheads, and four days with a hammer! :p

I did buy the Matic-D ATF oil, however hardly anything came out so I wont bother replacing anything. I have the whole front end jacked up. I will consider doing a tranny flush when I get back from Kentucky next week.

Now to get this new axle in! Anybody have any good lubrication recommendations so that if I wanted to remove this axle say 10 years from now that it would slide out easier and not be as rusted?

Quick tip for anybody reading this thread thinking to do axle removal of the longer half: Hammer and pry evenly on two opposite sides of where the flange and bracket meet, and it will eventually come out slowly.

#32 ·
you can unbolt the bracket from the back of the engine and work on it outside the car. also i've had luck with with an air chisel. you can use it to rotate the flange on the axle from the bracket which makes it easier to seperate.

#35 ·
So I started up the car, and it makes a new noise now when accelerating in the lower RPM range. It sounds explicitly like the sound that the thin metal brake shield makes when it vibrates. Its not terrible, but it is noticeable, and most people would just live with it, but I wanted to restore the car as best I could. Anyone know what that could be? Too little lubrication? Too much lubrication? Maybe the car has developed arthritis? I'm not sure if it happened because of the axle replacement or not, since I did also remove the driver side strut and bolt it back in.

Oh, and the engine is leaking small amounts of oil again once it heats up. Back to the other thread I made a while ago!

#37 ·
or the part of the axle shield by the bracket. i've seen it scrape before. just pry it out with a screwdriver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.