Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Not shifting into 4th with overdrive on

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  true grit 
#1 ·
I have a 93 with an AT. Engine runs fine and the transmission shifts smoothly. However, while driving it occasionally drops back into 3rd gear and won't shift back up. After clicking the overdrive button a few times it seems to reset and runs normally but can mess up again later.

Not only does it not shift up to 4th, but when stuck in 3rd it doesn't perform the same as it normally would with the overdrive off and running in 3rd.

I read somewhere, I think on a thread here I can no longer find, to replace the battery. I had the battery tested and it's fine. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
usually when the transmission won't shift into OD or will shift and then drop back into 3rd.. that usually means the OD band is shot and it is time for a rebuild.. usually it goes in this order, OD fails then the third gear clutch pack starts slipping .. then one day you will find you only have reverse, first, and second. Been there several times!!! Not with the Infiniti but with my mustang.. have broken the lock-up system several times and have limped the car home at 40 mph in 2nd gear :cheeky:

#3 ·
Well see in our cars, with the OD OFF function on the car is not supposed to shift into 4th gear, its supposed to stay in third.

If the OD is on (normal) it should go into 4th, if the little yellow light that says OD OFF is what you are talking about then its not supposed to shift into 4th.

#4 ·
Seneca said:
I have a 93 with an AT. Engine runs fine and the transmission shifts smoothly. However, while driving it occasionally drops back into 3rd gear and won't shift back up. After clicking the overdrive button a few times it seems to reset and runs normally but can mess up again later.

Not only does it not shift up to 4th, but when stuck in 3rd it doesn't perform the same as it normally would with the overdrive off and running in 3rd.

I read somewhere, I think on a thread here I can no longer find, to replace the battery. I had the battery tested and it's fine. Any suggestions?

That was the same problem my old tranny had... I neglected to get it fixed till my engine went on me....:paranoid:

You should pull the codes from your ECU. If it doens't have any codes stored about the tranny, take it to a shop and have them look at it.

#5 ·
I think this question is worth repeating. P-11, A/T, with 80K. If you have these SYMPTOMS: Loss of low end power, no 3rd to 4th (No O/D), gas mileage dropped to 17 mpg, no CEL, no codes. TEST: (1)Run car, you'll notice the "Symptoms", (2) Shutoff car, Restart car, the "O/D" light will blink steady spaces 16 times. Now drives normal. FIX: Replace with good battery.
Checked: Cell is approximately Average 1240-1250. Car off 12.v, Car On 14.5 v. But under load test, indicates 'BAD BATTERY'!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.