Steering wheel is shaking... - Page 3
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steering wheel is shaking...

When I had my stock wheel/tires my steering wheel didnt shake at all but it was steering to the right really bad. After installing my new wheel/tire combo my steering wheel shaked alot at high speeds. I got an alignmnet last week. After the alignment my car stop steering to the right. My steering wheel still shakes/vibrates. I can feel it after 40mph. I have the proper tire pressure. I need to get my tires balanced huh?

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

alignment. sears <$70

G20 Newbie

Pulling when braking

My G20 was pulling hard to the right when braking. Last night, I replaced the front left rotor and noticed the strut-to-knuckle bolt and nut were loose (several threads off). Tonight I replaced the front right rotor and noticed, again, the strut-to-knuckle bolt and nut were loose (several threads off). I tightened both to 70 ft-lb before I replaced the rotors. After tightening both nuts, the pulling while braking phenomenon is gone. Also, I had severe shaking when braking at high speed. Though it is possible it was from warped rotors, the shaking increased after tightening only the first nut, so I think the loose nuts contributed to the problem. Now with two new rotors and properly torqued nuts the shaking is eliminated as well.

Question: is that strut-to-knuckle bolt loosened / retightened at all during an alignment? I am guessing no? Toe should just be with the tie rod end, and camber / caster only with strut mount bolts, yes?

Another question: my pads on both sides had plenty of life on them so I only replaced the rotors. Is this a no-no? Should I always do pads even if they are fairly new when replacing rotors?

Yet another question: would caliper drag cause pulling? I'm guessing not, but curious if it's possible. My car still pulls slightly to the left; I'm going to get an alignment this week and hopefully that fixes it.

And lastly, I just (a couple days ago) had the tire shop balance / rotate all four wheels, but I'm still experiencing steering wheel shake over 80 MPH. Any ideas?
    Last edited by GEN2SHO; Dec 20, 06 at 01:57 AM.

G20 Member
    Local Auto shop alignment $40 > everywhere else

G20 Senior Member
    most likely not the problem but check your kingpin bearings

My experience was when I had replaced my original Infinitys tires at Discount tires with Perili (P6), then I had a Slight vibrations, mostly at the front tires (Steering wheel shake), then the rear tires (Floor board vibrate).
    After driving on it 10K, I had enough, so I went to do a alignment at a shop and had them inspect for vibrations.
    They wrote up one front tires was defective.
    I went back to Discount tires arm with this. They replaced -prorated the tire and did all tires balance. But there was still a slight vibration. Finally they did a "Ride match" uses a Hunter 2000. The weights were put in incorrectly! Tire balance services is mostly done incorrectly!!! Now I bring in doughnuts and tip and get to know them, then they will take good care of you. I have had this same experience every time I get tires mounted.
    Quote Originally Posted by 818_'99G20 View Post
    When I had my stock wheel/tires my steering wheel didnt shake at all but it was steering to the right really bad. After installing my new wheel/tire combo my steering wheel shaked alot at high speeds. I got an alignmnet last week. After the alignment my car stop steering to the right. My steering wheel still shakes/vibrates. I can feel it after 40mph. I have the proper tire pressure. I need to get my tires balanced huh?

This thread is five years old. Another question was asked, but that was a year ago. I think the problems contained herein have probably been solved.

And if they haven, well then