slipping clutch temporary fix
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: slipping clutch temporary fix

G20 Guru

slipping clutch temporary fix

my clutch is starting to slip but i really dont have the cash to get a new one now, so is there any way to tighten something up in there or what not so it will drive ok for a few months until i can get some more money?

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

you could drive with out using the clutch.

or you could lighten the load of your Lead Right Foot! hehe. I dont think theres gonna be a quick fix to this but bear in mind that the longer you leave t, the more chance of it slipping and burning up the flywheel. Then you create high spots and the flywheel will need refacing or you will get judder to no end. Even your new clutch wont fix that out then. In fact you will probably wear the new clutch out prematurely. So just be careful i say.

G20 Guru
    I dont know about not using the clutch. Im not quite there yet, but ive definitely slowed down both my driving and my shifting. Maybe ill just have to get a lightened flywheel at the same time as the clutch...

I dont know how to explain it to you but I can do it. I guess at a certain RPM the flywheel matches the clutch and you can change gears without using the clutch. If you practice double clutching it will be really easy

G20 Guru
    I'm ok at double clutching, but I never saw much point in doing it before. I'm more a single clutch kind of guy, but if it comes right down to it, i might have no other choice. So far at least it hasnt been slipping so long as I just take it easy you know.

If your clutch cable is too tight, you can try loosening it a little. This will let your clutch grab more. If your cable is already loose, then try GTA_G20s idea. I've heard of other people doing it but I'm afraid to try it myself.

G20 Guru
    That might be worth a try but i already barely have to push the pedal in to release the clutch so I think its shot. What does a clutch job usually end up costing for labor only (dealer or elsewhere)?

reducing clutch wear

Originally posted by GTA_G20
    I dont know how to explain it to you but I can do it. I guess at a certain RPM the flywheel matches the clutch and you can change gears without using the clutch. If you practice double clutching it will be really easy

This technique is called "speed shifting" and it's a good way to screw up a perfectly good transmission. If you use too much force, you can shear off a dogtooth and that's not a good thing to have rattling around in your transmission case. It should also be noted that it's only possible with gears that are close in ratio (3, 4, 5). Double clutching can help if done correctly, but it's overkill if all you're wanting to do is save wear on your clutch. Rev matching is probably your best bet since it's simpler than double clutching and safer than speed shifting. Bottom line, though, there's no way to "undo" a worn clutch and it's better to replace it ASAP before other damage is caused.

G20 Guru
    What other damage can be caused? Ive heard the flywheel can get a little screwed up, but this can be resurfaced at the same time the new clutch is installed. Is there anything else i should be worried about?