How many miles can you go with full synthetic oil?
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many miles can you go with full synthetic oil?

How many miles can you go with full synthetic oil?

I switched to full synthetic a couple months ago and Jiffy Lube is still recommending every 3k miles for an oil change. I have been talking to other people and they think it is alot higher than that, ie. my buddy has an 89 m3 and only changes every 10k miles. Any tips or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

Be safe and get it changed every 3000 miles. This way you are sure your car will last. 10000 miles seems to be a lot on a single oil change.

I'd say at the very, very most 5,000 miles and NO MORE.
    Current mods:S3 cams, TopSpeed header, M3-style rear wing, P11 rims, Recaro LS-L seats, Pioneer DEH-P6800MP CD/MP3 head unit w/6.5" Audiobahn AS65Q all around

THOU SHALT NOT MOD THAT WHICH THY CANNOT MAINTAIN" -thus speaketh Mr. Ryte

G20.net Founder
    I try and do mine between 5,000 km and 7,500 km. I think BMW's have a HUGE (5-10 liters IIRC) oil reserve and can get away with a big interval like that.
    Jason
    1999 Infiniti "Super Black Obsidian" G20 -- I miss you sweet darling...

cool thanks everyone

oh and also what oil does everyone recommend?

G20.net Staff
    Super Moderator
    If you can find it, I prefer Royal Purple, I've also used Mobil Synthetic in the past as well.
    Justin 2010 135i (daily) - 1999 GSX (rattle box) - kinda 04 350z (turbo/gutted/caged race car)

Re: How many miles can you go with full synthetic oil?

Originally posted by 91maxima
    I switched to full synthetic a couple months ago and Jiffy Lube is still recommending every 3k miles for an oil change. I have been talking to other people and they think it is alot higher than that, ie. my buddy has an 89 m3 and only changes every 10k miles. Any tips or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Ask around at dealerships, they can give you a place to send your oil to be analyzed. I've heard of a lot of people going 10K between changes, even on VW TDI engines... they just change the filter every 3K and top off the oil.

Cool, Thanks.

I've also been reading around that alot of people use 10w30 year round. What would you recommend, with utah weather?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by 91maxima
    I've also been reading around that alot of people use 10w30 year round. What would you recommend, with utah weather?
    Thanks.
    I recommend sticking with 5w-30.
    Current mods:S3 cams, TopSpeed header, M3-style rear wing, P11 rims, Recaro LS-L seats, Pioneer DEH-P6800MP CD/MP3 head unit w/6.5" Audiobahn AS65Q all around

yes...

I stick with 5w30 ALWAYS because that is what the MFGR recommends for our SR20DE engine

....and on my former BMW, I went 10K miles before an oil change without noticing any performance problems.... ...of course I sold that car with only 24K miles so I don't know how it will be once it has 50K on it (LOL)

I wouldn't suggest going past 5 or 6K myself with the picky Sr20De engine.... why take a chance when an oil change is such cheap insurance even with Synthetic prices?

Re: yes...

Originally posted by Chris
    I stick with 5w30 ALWAYS because that is what the MFGR recommends for our SR20DE engine

....and on my former BMW, I went 10K miles before an oil change without noticing any performance problems.... ...of course I sold that car with only 24K miles so I don't know how it will be once it has 50K on it (LOL)

I wouldn't suggest going past 5 or 6K myself with the picky Sr20De engine.... why take a chance when an oil change is such cheap insurance even with Synthetic prices?
    BTW, how many quarts of oil could your BMW hold?

Nobody f's with the Jesus Yahnozha's Avatar
    Well if this matters any...I ran 10w-30 in my engine up to 100K miles. I started doing performance mods at 60K. Now I run full synthetic and change oil every 3000-5000 miles. Im a little over 125K on the odometer and the engine is still running like a champ. I also do a lot more driving than just about anyone here, and engine life is all about maintanence. I also noticed the little engine noises quited down when I went to synthetic.
    P@ = Pat - No longer "The Man" - Odd greenish P11 Daily Driver (170K) - 01' Pathy 4x4

Originally posted by Yahnozha
    I also noticed the little engine noises quited down when I went to synthetic.
    Same here. Once I started using Mobil 1 full synthetic, I noticed the change right away.

yup...

my engine definately got quieter after synthetic..

...I honestly don't know how much oil my former BMW took 'cause it was covered under a 3 year 36k mile free maintenance

As far as I know my friends older m3 only takes 4 quarts.

The problem with oil isn't the oil itself but the filter. Even the larger-cartridge filters can only make it to about 5000 miles before they get so far filled with carbon deposits that they're not effective at actually filtering anymore and either become a massive restriction or bypass the filter mechanism alltogether. Talking with a lot of SR and even VQ owners, it seems that if you change the filter at 3-4000 miles, the oil will easily last 7-8000 miles. If you like, you can send a filter off to Blackstone Labs and they'll tell you what they think. This is the company that most of the SE-R and Maxima guys I've talked to like to use.

The owner's manual says that 5w-30 is the preferred weight for anything above 0°F. I'd tend to stick with that. I've noticed that there's slightly more startup clatter with synthetic than dead dino, but only by a few milliseconds, and most of that cleared up when I used a Genuine Nissan oil filter. I personally prefer Valvoline Synpower oil, but I don't suppose there's much wrong with Mobil1 or Royal Purple. I like Valvoline because I've never seen an oil actually outperform it, and It's usually a couple-three dollars per quart cheaper than Mobil1, which is still generally cheaper than RP.

Stick with Nissan filters, though, whatever you do. They're about $4-6, and are absolutely worth the drive to a Nissan or Infinity dealership to purchase. Even mail order from Mossy or Courtesy Nissan can be a cost-effective idea when compared to the repair bill of using the wrong filter. B14s and B15s are supposed to use the 15208-65F00 filter, which I believe correlates to '94+ P10s, but I'm not certain. If this is indeed the filter you're supposed to use...don't. Get the 15208-9E000 instead, which has about a 15-20% longer cartridge. What does that mean? Longer oil change intervals, safely.
    -=|JP|=-

"I can tell you all day long that my dick is 25% stiffer than yours, but without 'hard' numbers or independent testing, who's going to know?"

G20.net Staff
    Super Moderator
    Or you could go with a remote oil filter kit, like the OEC kit and run a MUCH larger filter. I believe filters as large as a dodge viper filter will fit on the filter adapter with this kit.
    Justin 2010 135i (daily) - 1999 GSX (rattle box) - kinda 04 350z (turbo/gutted/caged race car)

hey...

I thought the stock filters were rated to be good until 7500 miles.. or am I thinking of a different brand car?