Hooked jumper cables up backward
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooked jumper cables up backward

Unhappy Hooked jumper cables up backward

My G20 sat for quite a while and I needed to jumpstart it. For the first time in my life, I hooked them up backward. To make a long stort short... I replaced battery but now car won't start. Everything in cab is dead..radio, lights everything. The headlights still work. What did I fry?

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

check all the fuses maybe

G20 Member
    You probably blew every fuse existent to your car and man-kind. A new battery may be in order. And a set of fuses. Check the ones by the steering wheel or driver side dash.

either the 80mp or 40amp main fuse is blowen. box is under the hood on drivers side

I hope it is just fuses. Not computer!

I will check the fuses. Thanks!

you hava p11 your min fusable links may be part of the positive turminall seems like all the newer nissans are doing this. calm down your ecu does not control lthe lights and such. I have fixed quite a few cars that were toed in for the same thing so you are not the onlyone out their. ll have been really minimal damage. I find it more frequent when some one hs aftermarket terminls people just dont know what is what.
    Om just glad your cars battery did not blow up in your face. you hve to say their is quite a load on the bttery when ou are useing a power sorce in the opisit direction. It is like creating a super heating ellement all fuses in the car should generally be alright in more cases as if they were of they would not ever se a load

I jumped my NX backwards a few years ago and it had the same symptoms. The fusable link on the positive battery cable was blown. The only place I could find it was at a junkyard and once replaced everything was fine again.
    03.5 G35 Sport 6MT
    07 Forester XT Sport 5MT
    99 Miata 10AE Turbo
    93 LS1 240SX Family Project

see you are not alone.

i have never done it. I also have my battery frunk mounted and i have makered my hot wire so i can tell what is what just in case. but it would not be to much fun jumping my car from the trunk.

But hey shit happens people make misstakes I make them all the time. not really on cars but in other things in life

G20 Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p10det
    you hava p11 your min fusable links may be part of the positive turminall seems like all the newer nissans are doing this. calm down your ecu does not control lthe lights and such. I have fixed quite a few cars that were toed in for the same thing so you are not the onlyone out their. ll have been really minimal damage. I find it more frequent when some one hs aftermarket terminls people just dont know what is what.
    Om just glad your cars battery did not blow up in your face. you hve to say their is quite a load on the bttery when ou are useing a power sorce in the opisit direction. It is like creating a super heating ellement all fuses in the car should generally be alright in more cases as if they were of they would not ever se a load
    yeah this man its right also you might wanna take a look at the main fuses

G20 Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteGunslinger
    You probably blew every fuse existent to your car and man-kind. A new battery may be in order. And a set of fuses. Check the ones by the steering wheel or driver side dash.

ROFL dude........ not so.

A buddy and I were working on my dodge avenger (drunk......heres where the trouble started) and I was on the other side of the bay buttoning up a couple last things and my friend put in my battery........ BACKWARDS....

I got in the car turned the key forward and EVERYTHING worked but my windshield wipers were stuck on.... so I figured it out flipped the battery back around and all that was blown was TWO things:

A big "alternator choke" fuse
    And my HVAC... heat a/c all of it.... lol

Chris

G20 Senior Member foreverzero89's Avatar
    what you did was blow the battery fuse under the hood. i did this about 2 years ago and all i needed was a new fuse, so don't worry too much.

Hey guys... I replaced the 100A battery fuse and a few other 7.5A fuses and everything is up and running again. Thank you very much for the info. I would have had to tow to get service and payed dealer prices for the fix.
    Thanks again... I couldn't have done it without you.

G20 Senior Member foreverzero89's Avatar
    no prob, bob.

G20 Newbie
    to revive this thread, well looks like my roommate did this to my car as I was going upstairs to get a wrench. nothing in my car is working. I found the fuse box for the battery and saw the battery one... ok so now for some dumb questions, how can I tell if a fuse is blown? are there any tricks on taking out the fuse? do I need to use needle-nose pliers or something? sorry for all the noobie questions. PLEASE HELP

Yeah you can use needle nose but just dont really clamp down.
    My old Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    Looks good, but something about the front bumper is bothering me...now go get your F'ing Shine Box.
    Quote Originally Posted by G20-Unit View Post
    You only heard the gunshot, but you didn't see the slap that came before it..

G20 Newbie
    ok thanks, that battery fuse is pretty hard to pull out, guess I'll have to unbolt it. tricky tricky. any way I can tell if it's blown or not? just hoping it's not all my fuses

yeah battery fuse is a byatch to take out the only way i could tell that i blew it was because there was some crater marks on the little plastic window haha other than that you can use a voltmeter and see if current is going from the fuses on the left side of the battery fuse to the right side of the battery fuse.. if no volts on one of the sides then i means battery fuse is toast and not carrying current to the other fuses

Nobody f's with the Jesus Yahnozha's Avatar
    P@ = Pat - No longer "The Man" - Odd greenish P11 Daily Driver (170K) - 01' Pathy 4x4

G20 Newbie
    thanks man, but I have a p10. I got the fuse out but the mechanic told me the fuse looked great just by looking at it. he said to check the other fuses to see if the blew and if that's not it it is by ECU...let's just hope that isn't the case