Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Hooked jumper cables up backward

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  p10det 
#1 ·
My G20 sat for quite a while and I needed to jumpstart it. For the first time in my life, I hooked them up backward. To make a long stort short... I replaced battery but now car won't start. Everything in cab is dead..radio, lights everything. The headlights still work. What did I fry?

#7 ·
you hava p11 your min fusable links may be part of the positive turminall seems like all the newer nissans are doing this. calm down your ecu does not control lthe lights and such. I have fixed quite a few cars that were toed in for the same thing so you are not the onlyone out their. ll have been really minimal damage. I find it more frequent when some one hs aftermarket terminls people just dont know what is what.
Om just glad your cars battery did not blow up in your face. you hve to say their is quite a load on the bttery when ou are useing a power sorce in the opisit direction. It is like creating a super heating ellement all fuses in the car should generally be alright in more cases as if they were of they would not ever se a load

#8 ·
I jumped my NX backwards a few years ago and it had the same symptoms. The fusable link on the positive battery cable was blown. The only place I could find it was at a junkyard and once replaced everything was fine again.

#9 ·
see you are not alone.

i have never done it. I also have my battery frunk mounted and i have makered my hot wire so i can tell what is what just in case. but it would not be to much fun jumping my car from the trunk.

But hey shit happens people make misstakes I make them all the time. not really on cars but in other things in life

#10 ·
p10det said:
you hava p11 your min fusable links may be part of the positive turminall seems like all the newer nissans are doing this. calm down your ecu does not control lthe lights and such. I have fixed quite a few cars that were toed in for the same thing so you are not the onlyone out their. ll have been really minimal damage. I find it more frequent when some one hs aftermarket terminls people just dont know what is what.
Om just glad your cars battery did not blow up in your face. you hve to say their is quite a load on the bttery when ou are useing a power sorce in the opisit direction. It is like creating a super heating ellement all fuses in the car should generally be alright in more cases as if they were of they would not ever se a load
yeah this man its right also you might wanna take a look at the main fuses :smoke:

#11 ·
EliteGunslinger said:
You probably blew every fuse existent to your car and man-kind. A new battery may be in order. And a set of fuses. Check the ones by the steering wheel or driver side dash.

ROFL dude........ not so.

A buddy and I were working on my dodge avenger (drunk......heres where the trouble started) and I was on the other side of the bay buttoning up a couple last things and my friend put in my battery........ BACKWARDS....

I got in the car turned the key forward and EVERYTHING worked :baffled: but my windshield wipers were stuck on.... so I figured it out flipped the battery back around and all that was blown was TWO things:

A big "alternator choke" fuse
And my HVAC... heat a/c all of it.... lol

Chris

#13 ·
Hey guys... I replaced the 100A battery fuse and a few other 7.5A fuses and everything is up and running again. Thank you very much for the info. I would have had to tow to get service and payed dealer prices for the fix.
Thanks again... I couldn't have done it without you.

#15 ·
to revive this thread, well looks like my roommate did this to my car as I was going upstairs to get a wrench. nothing in my car is working. I found the fuse box for the battery and saw the battery one... ok so now for some dumb questions, how can I tell if a fuse is blown? are there any tricks on taking out the fuse? do I need to use needle-nose pliers or something? sorry for all the noobie questions. PLEASE HELP

#18 ·
yeah battery fuse is a byatch to take out the only way i could tell that i blew it was because there was some crater marks on the little plastic window haha other than that you can use a voltmeter and see if current is going from the fuses on the left side of the battery fuse to the right side of the battery fuse.. if no volts on one of the sides then i means battery fuse is toast and not carrying current to the other fuses

#22 ·
if you look at the fsm you can find all wireing diagrams. as for ecu you can check the power sorces. i beleve the p10 ecu uses 2 key on power sorces. if you could inspect to asure they re good that would be a good start. i also think your micanic is gay. A tech nition would inspect the fuse and then check the continuity with a meeter. also they would have first shect all of the mian fuses with the same cuaseion assosiated with inop parts. thn would move on to fried wires componets are last to check on the list. cuase buy confirming the roots you prove the fialed part and if you a curiuos on why the unit is fialed you verify wht it is doing abnormal.
i have to do really deep diags on more crasyer systems allday with crap pay. cuase they are warrenty and my dealler does not stock shit. so i cn not sford to be wrong are they would gun me down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.