Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Engine oil leaks from water pump. See picture.

29K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  ENO 
#1 ·

OK, My engine failed on one injector and started leaking oil almost at the same time. Injectors have been sent out for cleaning. Now i'm asking your help on the oil leak. I was hope that the oil pressure switch was causing the leak. Replaced (easy job) and still leaks while the car is on stands. Then I was hoping it was the crankshaft oil seal. Took the pulley out (medium difficult) and the seal is not leaking and the oil is still dripping. Finally, I see the oil come out the hole at the bottom of the water pump (should be more difficult to deal with). See picture as pointed.

So, is the water pump dead or just some kind of seal is dead inside? How difficult to put a new water pump in? OEM or other brands?

This is the most difficult time between me the my G20. Have been thinking about giving up on her from time to time. Please help! Thanks. cxqiu

See less See more
#2 ·
BTW, the water pump has been working fine without any issue before leaking engine oil. I had driven the car for a few days after its first leak was spotted without any overheat/noise issue. It does not leak coolant either.

#4 ·
the only thing that should (if your water pump is failing) be coming out of there is anti-freeze.

i had a leak at one of the bolts. there is an o-ring around one of the bolts and over time i guess it can shrink or something and cause a leak. the only way to fix it is to pull the cover. (i hope this is not your problem)

-chuck

#5 ·
ERIKbronx said:
Water pump is dieing that means... its the seep hole.
Thanks. So I need to order a new water pump from everythingg20 for $62.40 or other brands are OK as well???

At the same time, I can replace the front oil seal as well. Does anyone have a part number for that (94G20)? I cant find it on the everythingg20 website.

Anything else worth replacing since I'm so deeply trapped here?

Thanks a lot! cxqiu

#6 ·
octotat said:
the only thing that should (if your water pump is failing) be coming out of there is anti-freeze.

i had a leak at one of the bolts. there is an o-ring around one of the bolts and over time i guess it can shrink or something and cause a leak. the only way to fix it is to pull the cover. (i hope this is not your problem)

-chuck
So you are saying it may not be the water pump. But the engine oil does come out of the bottom hole of the water pump (water pump has another hole on its top side). If I plug the hole, there is no engine oil dripping. When it is unplugged, the oil comes out right away. So it is engine oil coming out of that hole, not the coolant.

#9 ·
Folks,

I have to apologize to all of you for the misleading post. It is not the engine oil. It is the coolant. I was fooled since I just changed the engine oil and the leaking looks similar to the clear engine oil on latex gloves. End of the story, it is the water pump leaking coolant from the bottom hole.

Thanks!
cxqiu

#12 ·
Autozone has water pumps for $35, lifetime warranty too. I just did a water pump on my G yesterday. Took 3 hours and i didn't take the crank pulley off.

Make sure you put a jack and peice of wood under the oil pan, unbolt the motor mount and jack the motor up and down to give you room to get to those WP bolts.

#13 ·
id rather pay the extra $30 and get an oem water pump. i dunno but im about to get a water pump for one of my G's that has 171k miles. if the original lasted that long, thats the one i want to get again. i cant see any autozone product lasting 170k miles

#14 ·
dang, I was wondering how the heck oil would come out of that hole.... Hey I was wondering if you could do a write up on how to change this... This might be something I would want to do soon, Im going on 150,000 miles on the original pump and would be nice to know how to change it if I ever needed to.

#15 ·
gomd3 said:
dang, I was wondering how the heck oil would come out of that hole.... Hey I was wondering if you could do a write up on how to change this... This might be something I would want to do soon, Im going on 150,000 miles on the original pump and would be nice to know how to change it if I ever needed to.
Sorry it was my bad thinking it was oil. Anyway, follow the link for the step by step instructions (posted in another thread by p@):

http://www.se-r.net/engine/water_pump/se-r_water_pump.htm

One thing good for g20 (at least 94g20) is you don't have to take out the power steering reservoir. like daveracer mentioned, you don't have to take off the crank pulley either. But you do have to raise up engine a little bit to make space to take out the water pump after you take the mount off.

Now the old water pump is out and I'm planning to order OEM pump and the front oil seal and putting them together is just a matter of time.

Thank all of you for inputs. cxqiu

#17 ·
That's a pretty decent writeup. I should have done one with pictures, but i really didn't have much time to do it.

Good luck with the install. Leave yourself a whole afternoon to do it and make sure you have everything you need to do it (i hate having to run to Autozone or CAP to get stuff in the middle of an install!).

Make sure you have a shallow AND deep 12mm socket (3/8" drive). It helps alot.

#18 ·
Nice job on the "how to guide" for the water pump install. I did this job a couple years ago and did not find anything as well prepared as your write-up. I think I finally found something on the sentra forums that was pretty good. You have done an excellent job which others will benefiet from.

#19 ·
I was going to off that if it was oil, it was possible it was your main gasket, but in reality this seems unlikely. I did actually have this problem occur with an old Celica - oil from the water pump, but it was really seeping from around it, rather than through it. When the pump was replaced, fortunately the gasket was not so out of position that it couldn't be pushed back into place with fingers.

#20 ·
I think you guys just saved me. I thought I was having an oil leak too. I checked and checked and thought it was coming out of a freeze plug or something. Then I checked the coolant level and radiator that I just refilled and the reservoir was dry and the radiator needed coolant! My bet is that it is a water pump. My only guess as to why it looks like oil is that the coolant is dripping down and picking up grime and making it look like it is oil when in fact it isn't. A few weeks ago, I couldn't figure out why there was this very obvious coolant sitting on the floor of my garage and now I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.