Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

pcv valve leading to oil loss?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pmaadani 
#1 ·
Well my g20 has been burning or leaking oil for a while now... always gotta top it up.

Anyway, i took it to a mechanic i know personally that works at mitsubishi. I asked him to see why oil is being consumed and why there is rattle coming from the left upper side of the engine.

He called me back and said its def the PCV valve because its stuck open. He says that will help with the rattle and also will stop the loss of oil.

He also cleaned the engine and let it run for an hour up on the hoist and said no oil was leaking at all.

So... does that make sense? PCV valve leading to oil loss?

Just wanna make sure with my insanely knowledgeable g20 crew.

Thanks guys.

#5 ·
wow! I did not know it can cause that much oil burn.
I replaced mine today before seeing this, it was sorta stuck open (it would not shut all the way) and would not click when you shake it. Anyhow, I cleaned the throttle body as well and oil in intake tubes. I burn about .5 qt per 1k miles and no outside leaks... I hope this fix the problem or at least lower the oil consumption. Oh bought the pcv valve for 3.64 including tax. Pretty darn cheap at Advance Auto Parts.

#6 ·
so i called infiniti today to get the part... and the inbred morons said my car does not have a pcv valve...

WOW!

They said maybe its the EGR... but there is definitely no pcv on my car.

So i plan to go there tomorrow and smack them upside the head.

#7 ·
Can you bring a friend along & have them make a video of this. I would like that! LOL Another G20 related video for Youtube! BTW, I have an 'oil consumption issue as well with my '01. I've posted many times on this issue and still no answer either! My car only had 67K km (~41K mi) on it when I got my car, and this issue was there. I've replaced my PCV valve, and still no improvement. And like you, not a drop or sign of an oil leak anywhere around or under the engine! What gives!

BTW, you you have the PDF copy of the owners manual for your car. If not go to www.phatg20.com and d/l it from there. Then print out the FSM picture showing them it's location. (Hmm, you got a '91? I don't think a PFD FSM exists?!?!) Or tell them to get call up a mechanic from the back to also inform them how much of an idiot they are as well....

#9 ·
Your 91 may not have a PCV valve. Many cars around that time simply have a rubber tube that goes from valve cover to intake manifold usually near the throttle body. PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation (or Valve) There's plenty of oil mixed with the "air" in your crankcase and some of that air (if you have a PCV only when pressure is sufficiently high) is getting mixed in with outside air into the intake manifold and into the cylinders ...
EGR=Exhaust Gas Recirculation Now we are talking about bringing engine exhaust into the intake manifold to be used as part of the air drawn into the cylinder. Bad EGR system may lead to engine pinging but will not consume oil.

Anyway if you're not leaking oil you're burning oil that is getting past piston rings or valve guide seals. One other tip is that a common small leak is from the oil pressure sending unit. You may not see oil on the ground since it will coat a hidden part of your engine but not so much to drip. The oil pressure sender is in the engine block between firewall (passenger compartment) and engine. Look up above right drive axle or to right of the starter. See post:
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60664

#10 ·
They are just trying to sell you 150 worth of parts you don't need. PCV valve at dealer is less than 10 and at other store even cheaper. PCV valve has been around since injectors came along (early 1970s) so I really doubt 91 would be exception to it. Also autozone sales it for a 91 g20 so I assume it should be there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.