can a bad evap canister affect gas mileage
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: can a bad evap canister affect gas mileage

G20 Senior Member

can a bad evap canister affect gas mileage

jus asking because i know i have to get my evap canister replaced, my car also get poor gas mileage, i was just wondering if the evap canister could affect my mpg?

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

G20 Member
    no evap canister neutralize vapor from gas tank

G20 Guru
    evap csystem is in place to attempt to keep gas fumes from entering the atmosphere. it sends excess fumes into the intake manifold to be burned in the engine. car will run/perform fine without it. it will not effect anything. only thing is you will get a hiss when you remove the gas cap.

I always get a hiss when I open the gas tank. Does that mean my evap system is not working right??

G20 Guru
    that is what i was told by a mechanic. he was replacing the evap on a mustang when i asked him what exactly it did.

so from what i have been told, i would say yes it is not working as it should.

Still learning :D LilAznFishinDude's Avatar
    Ehhhh... I dunno. I'm a noob at this, but I get the hiss every now and then when I fill up. I believe it's just pressure built up by the fuel pump. I've read some one else say this. If you let your car sit a while, you won't get the hiss when you pop the cap.

G20 Guru
    The gas cap hiss has nothing to do with the functionality of your EVAP system.

And no, a bad canister wont affect your mileage by any drastic means. Maybe .5 to 1 mpg