Coolant flush good or bad?
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Coolant flush good or bad?

Coolant flush good or bad?

I'm considering having my car's coolant flushed. The car has 75K on it and has no evidence of a coolant flush being done before. I've been getting varying opinions on whether or not to have the coolant changed. Some people say that a flush will damage the radiator. Others say that a simple drain and fill is a bad idea because the dealer won't use distilled water. Can someone give me a straight answer on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

G20 Member
    I don't know of anyone that actually goes to the trouble of using distilled water. Doing a flush can't do anything bad to your radiator. All folks tales. I've always used tap water and never damaged a radiator. Really it's up to you to decide what you want to do. But coolant should be changed every two to four years.

What I've been told is that a flush will introduce acidic cleaners into the system that can cause leaks and that not using distilled water will cause alum and other stuff in tap water to coagulate in the system. My only concern is that the car has 75K on it and Infiniti recommends it be done every 30K. I don't understand the water thing though, I was under the impression most coolant comes pre-mixed.

if you can, do it yourself. get a bunch of distilled water and change it out, run the motor/heater, dump it, do it again. that should get it pretty well flushed i think? i'm no expert, but i do it that way and my coolant is clean. does anyone have better advice?

it's really not any harder than an oil change.

G20 Member
    i have flushed it with tap water b4 and then let it sit there overnight. then i used distilled water to fill it back up in the morning. even with oil change, i leave it overnight so everything drips out, at least thats wut i think.

G20 Member
    Naw I used to do these at jiffy lube before all the time You do run water thru them for a lil to clean it out but let some of the fluid go thru the car also as well we used to put collant in and let it go thru the radiator and let some of the coolan run thru it to clear out anything that might go thru it also ppl at jiffy lube are crooks so approcah one that ull pay them for it i used to do it all the time haha i got free mobile 1 changes like crazy

In Seattle, our water isn't hard so I just use tap water and prestone mixed 50-50. If your water has a lot of minerals in it, I'd go to the store and get distilled.

G20 Member
    Tap water not it doest matter if you let the coolant flush thru it to cool it out its ur radiator im pretty shure whatever minerals are in there arent gunna survive the temperatures coolant goes through in the motor Also ive seen people put alot worse shit then water in a radiator

Do it yourself. It's pretty easy. A flush should not hurt it at all if you do it right. The reason why tap water is bad because of the calcium etc. and may create build up in your engine. I have not done this to the g yet. But I plan on doing this right before I move to Vegas. What I did to my other cars was buy 4 gallons of distilled water and OEM radiator fluid. 1) Drain the radiator and fill it up with distilled water. 2) Disconnect the hose that runs from the block to the radiator (hot side) at the radiator side. 3) Point the hose down into a bucket (so that it does not run into the street and make our pets sick). 4) Start the car and let it get really hot till the thermostat opens up. 5) The coolant from the block will come out (colored). 6) Make sure that your radiator stays topped off with distilled water at all times. 7) Eventually the fluid coming out of the block will turn colorless (white/clear) and steam. 8) Now mix OEM coolant with water to the mix your want 50/50, 40/60, what ever you run. 9) Now use this to top off your radiator. 10) Keep going till the fluid coming out of the block changes to the color that you have pouring into the radiator. 10) Turn off motor. 11) Connect all your hoses. 12) top off all radiator and the radiator reservoir. 13) Start the car and run/drive it for awhile. 14) Come back top all the fluids again and you should be good to go. Of course all check to leaks. GL
    Last edited by TE's02p11G; Mar 27, 08 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trbobrk View Post
    In Seattle, our water isn't hard so I just use tap water and prestone mixed 50-50. If your water has a lot of minerals in it, I'd go to the store and get distilled.
    I may have to ask the dealer about that and bring them some distilled water if necessary. What the dealer is suggesting is a BG machine flush rather than just a drain and fill, which apparently cleans the system out, replaces the coolant, and puts in an additive to keep the seals from wearing out. People on other Nissan/Infiniti forums are telling me that this could damage my cooling system because the car has 75K on it and no evidence of the fluid having been flushed before.

i know you're just going to the dealer anyways. just have them do whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by TE's02p11G View Post
    Do it yourself. It's pretty easy. A flush should not hurt it at all if you do it right. The reason why tap water is bad because of the calcium etc. and may create build up in your engine. I have not done this to the g yet. But I plan on doing this right before I move to Vegas. What I did to my other cars was buy 4 gallons of distilled water and OEM radiator fluid. 1) Drain the radiator and fill it up with distilled water. 2) Disconnect the hose that runs from the block to the radiator (hot side) at the radiator side. 3) Point the hose down into a bucket (so that it does not run into the street and make our pets sick). 4) Start the car and let it get really hot till the thermostat opens up. 5) The coolant from the block will come out (colored). 6) Make sure that your radiator stays topped off with distilled water at all times. 7) Eventually the fluid coming out of the block will turn colorless (white/clear) and steam. 8) Now mix OEM coolant with water to the mix your want 50/50, 40/60, what ever you run. 9) Now use this to top off your radiator. 10) Keep going till the fluid coming out of the block changes to the color that you have pouring into the radiator. 10) Turn off motor. 11) Connect all your hoses. 12) top off all radiator and the radiator reservoir. 13) Start the car and run/drive it for awhile. 14) Come back top all the fluids again and you should be good to go. Of course all check to leaks. GL
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burningsquirrels View Post
    i know you're just going to the dealer anyways. just have them do whatever.
    I'm a college student. At this point in the school year free time isn't something that I have. I know I'm going to have to pay a fair amount to have dealer maintenance done on my car, but I'm just trying to determine what to have them actually do. If their flush is going to do more harm than good I won't have it done.

i understand where you're coming from. you should definitely do it. i'd go get some junk mail and clip some coupons for a basic flush n' fill. better a quick job than no job at all.