Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

In what order do you bleed the brakes?

14K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  DMSentra 
#1 ·
In terms of, driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, and driver rear, in what order should you go for bleeding the brakes?

Thanks!

#6 ·
Replacing old brake fluid with new brake fluid and getting any air pockets out of the brake lines.

Can anyone confirm for the 00+ what the order is?

#8 ·
So for everything after that, P10's and P11's included, the ABS system and all other brake related stuff is the same, minus the rotors, calipurs and whatnot that take part in the P11 brake upgrade for P10's, and so the bleeding order is the same, passenger rear, drive front, driver rear, passenger front?

#10 ·
Thanks!

Yay, soon no more mushy, quickly fading, questionable brakes...

Then again it's been a good kick in the ass for a reminder of driving. Knowing my brakes are a little mushy, knowing they won't last as long as they could until they fade really helped me remember how to brake the least possible and carry speed through turns...

#14 ·
I've always done RR, LR, RF, LF in that order? I was always taught start the furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way up. You learn something new everyday! Also did know your suppose to disconnect the battery when you bleed brakes that have ABS? I wonder what for and how that works?

#17 ·
Just to add to this thread: what's the best way to 'flush' old brake fluid? Is it easy to tell when all the old fluid is out and new fluid is in?

I was thinking of taking my car to a HPDE and after 233k miles I'm sure the fluid could stand to be replaced.

#18 ·
Was checking the FSM for my 2000 P11 and I think I see why the bleed order is: Right rear brake -> Left front brake -> Left rear brake -> Right front brake

on BR-9 there is a picture of the Hydraulic Circuit. I looks like RR & LF are on one and LR & RF are on the other. Seeing it that way, then the order makes sense now.

Just thought I'd post for the next person to find this thread.

#21 ·
It should be the same as post #11 by slimlou, however you should double check in the 96 FSM which you can download as a sponsor. The BR section is what you need:
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93614

Noob question, but this is only on a need-to-do basis right? Or for people who autocross or do a lot of heavy breaking? Ive never done this as its just a DD, but is it something I should seriously think about doing?
Generally speaking, you only need to bleed when the system gets opened to air for some reason. The most common is when replacing a dang stuck caliper in the rear, which seems to happen on the Nissan's.

Brake fluid is considered hydrophillic, meaning that over time it absorbs moisture so in theory it wouldn't be a bad thing to do for maintenance every once in a long while. I don't even know if Nissan specifies a maintenance interval for the fluid but I'm talking like every once in a great while like with a major tune up.

#20 ·
Noob question, but this is only on a need-to-do basis right? Or for people who autocross or do a lot of heavy breaking? Ive never done this as its just a DD, but is it something I should seriously think about doing?

#24 ·
i just had 2 rear caliper's replaced. I asked the mechanic if he bleed all 4 calipers. He said there was no need. He only bleed the caliper as he replaced them. The pedal does feel softer. Should i re-bleed them myself?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.