Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Mechanic pricing - how much should a job cost? Put your experiences in here!

27K views 67 replies 37 participants last post by  Lildad90 
#1 ·
I was thinking it would be cool if we could populate a thread with prices each of us has paid to a mechanic to do a specific job with as much details as possible. That way people can easily tell if they're getting ripped. I don't go to the mechanic often but when I do, I'd like to know if his prices are good. Obviously, there's no substitute to having a trustworthy mechanic but those are getting harder to find.

I'll start:
'99 g20t - Clutch Job (full, including TOB) - $690 - ~ 4 hours of labor - OEM parts, new gear oil
'99 g20t - Wheel Bearings (both sides) - $375 - ~ 2 hours of labor - OEM Parts

If you can keep it in this format, it'll help people read and search! Ok go!

#2 ·
2000 outer CV boot replacemant with parts 50$
2000 starter replacement 50$+parts
both took a mechanic about 4 hours, i dont think he was working the whole time tho.

just got quoted for another cv boot, lower control arm replacement and putting in my teins for about 250.+parts
local mechanic, took pictures of my axle when it was shiny cleaned when replacing the first boot.

#9 ·
believe me, if i really had a choice in the matter it could have been done alot cheaper. when your 100 miles from home things change alot. if it had happened in the AM before i left it would have been less. this was a very upscale shop that i took it too. very clean and neat with all snap-on tools.......gotta pay for that shit somehow. but yeah.....dont get caught slipping people. add 75$ to the bill for a tow also.......600$:zoinks:

#8 ·
I would like to say I will do anyone's starter for half that price :)

Lysander iare the charts something you could post up? I would love to see how many hours for each job. This should be public knowledge easily obtainable on the internet so that people aren't screwed by the mechanic.

#14 ·
Lysander are the charts something you could post up? I would love to see how many hours for each job. This should be public knowledge easily obtainable on the internet so that people aren't screwed by the mechanic.
Not easily transposed (imbedded in parts lists). I will post up a few jobs to give people an idea. Flat rates are a little tricky- it's usually much less time than your average shade tree mechanic, but more time than a really sharp, experienced wrencher with the right tools and a lift. A good place to start, tho.

-Mac

#19 ·
i had AAA for like 5 yrs and never used it once......then i cancel it and now i have had like 5 tows in the last 2 yrs..go figure.

#13 ·
Annual inspections- $12.
Repair of side collision (bent B-pillar) with replacement of side airbag (and seat), sensors, airbag computer, both RH doors on my 2000t- about $3500. including the cost of the wrecked car repaired.
Replace radiator core, used hood/fenders/lights/bumper on my '95t- $1000. including the cost of the wrecked car.
R/R tires on rims including balance, $64.
Replace windshield (Safelite)- $125.

Everything else, I DIMS.

#16 ·
.... you need to find a backyard mechanic that only speaks korean. save urself some bucks
P11 starter ... Approx $300 including labor. Shop owner is a nice old Korean guy. But he did speak enough English to understand what I needed ;) The customer lounge had some computers that I fiddled around on: I'm pretty sure I made a visit to Gnet while I was waiting.

#22 ·
Good stuff guys, hopefully this thread will help some folks out as they come through.

Just FYI, you can sign up for AAA AND request a tow IN THE SAME CALL. This is for regular AAA only, not gold (you have to be a member for a year to get gold IIRC). When I signed up the guy said "you're all set, do you need a tow now" :). I was just signing up but it is possible. Regular triple AAA gives you 3 miles free I think and save you the $100 "come out to your car before we even start charging you for miles fee".

I don't know if I'd count but if you broke down and don't have AAA what do you have to lose!

#36 ·
Then do it yourself. You want a professional to do it then you pay a professional to do it. When I enlarged the side hole for the CAI it did take about an extra 30-45 minutes. I would charge $105 for either header or CAI installation. Thats 1.5 hours of installation time. With 20% off we're basically $70/hr

$454.97 OEM clutch installation at Zankoku Performance (includes parts & labor)

$459.26 for 30K, 60K, 90K mile service @ Zankoku (includes cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, ENEOS 5w40 oil, coolant, ATF, platinum plugs, cabin filter, all drive belts, and inspect the entire car)

any questions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.