oil leak
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil leak

oil leak

anybody have any suggestions on where to look for an oil leak that is dropping spots near where the exhaust passes the oil pan. i have oil on hoses and wiring harnesses from around half way up the motor down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

the oil pressure switch is on top of the motor isnt it, beside the headers?????

thanks

the oil pressure switch is on top of the motor isnt it, beside the headers?????
    No, the oil pressure switch is next to the oil filter bracket. You can see it when you go under the car above the passenger side axle, next to a power steering hose. It has a brown rubber cover and a couple of wires coming out of it. I recently replaced mine ($7-8 from infinitipartsusa.com). This was causing a slight leak for me. Once I replaced it, the leak was gone.

If you have a leak near the exhaust pipe, it could be that the oil pan gasket needs replacing. Just to be sure that it isn't your oil pressure switch, get under the car and check the switch for any oil on the rubber cover.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Re: oil leak

Originally posted by bigj
    anybody have any suggestions on where to look for an oil leak that is dropping spots near where the exhaust passes the oil pan. i have oil on hoses and wiring harnesses from around half way up the motor down.
    Based on the pattern of the leak from the oil pressure switch (personal experience), I will have to agree with TeqP and point you to the oil pressure switch. It will casuse oil to leak down the back side of the oil pan as well as on the exhaust depending on how bad yours is leaking.

does it look like a square with a hose on each side??

thanks.....

No it looks like the left most sender in this picture:

Most likely it is the oil sender... they tend to leak on high mileage cars. If youve never dropped your lower oil pan, and havent scraped it on the ground badly, it is most likely not the liquid gasket leaking.

- Greg -

when you say high mileage, how high is high?? i have 80000

picture didnt open

Hmm you'll need to log into imagestation first I think. It really would be nice if this site allowed you to post pics without having to link from a URL

80,000 could be enough. Seems they usually invariably leak by about 100,000. Some worse than others though. You really wont know for sure until you check it!

- Greg -

where is the picture located at in imagestation.com????

It's in this album... last picture.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290471661&idx=11

- Greg -
    Last edited by MrFancypants; Mar 27, 03 at 06:10 PM.

G20.net Staff
    Super Moderator
    You can right click the first link and just copy and paste the shortcut into your browser window and it'll open up the picture.
    Justin 2010 135i (daily) - 1999 GSX (rattle box) - kinda 04 350z (turbo/gutted/caged race car)

the Oil Pressure sender fixed MY oil leak!!
    Richard Garrison
    It was a 93.5 Infiniti G20 | Mods; '95 Chrome Grille. Got Fogs. '99 P11 Wheels. JDM SR20. 19 degree timing. Gone to G Heaven now, the ABS valve went out, car was traded and sold to a salvage company.
    Now it's a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SE

does anybody have a part number for it??

i think im blind. i cant find the pressure switch anywhere on my engine compartment. could somebody take a pic of the motor and circle the pressure switch for me?? thanks very much.

get under the car, look above the passenger side axel, kinda BEHIND the timing cover.....it's crazy, I know....but it's sorta in an odd place, but it's there, trust me, i just did mine last week. it's almost like the timing chain extends out beyond the block.
    Richard Garrison
    It was a 93.5 Infiniti G20 | Mods; '95 Chrome Grille. Got Fogs. '99 P11 Wheels. JDM SR20. 19 degree timing. Gone to G Heaven now, the ABS valve went out, car was traded and sold to a salvage company.
    Now it's a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SE

is their a wiring harness coming out of it, on one side..... and the other side screws in???

thanks.

Yeah if you look at the last pic, the threaded portion threads into the block towards the passenger side, then the harness clips into the plastic side.

By the way, if/when you replace it, remember to teflon tape the threads.

- Greg -

look at the last 2 pictures, is this it?? is it at the same place on a p10??

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...5092709&idx=27

Dude thats the alternator. You're on the wrong side of the motor!

It's on the back side, lay on your back with your chest under the oil pan, look up behind the back of the motor above the passenger side axle, more or less on the other side of where the oil filter screws in. It's right there with a cord stuck in it.

Seems you got that pic from my album. I meant for you to go to the last pic, which is of my custom oil distribution block. The leftmost sender in that block is the sender youre looking for, except yours is screwed right into your motor.

- Greg -