Exhaust leak -- between exhaust manifold and catalytic converter
G20.net is the premier Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Exhaust leak -- between exhaust manifold and catalytic converter

G20 Member

Exhaust leak -- between exhaust manifold and catalytic converter

Took the car to get inspected because we suspected there might be an exhaust leak somewhere. I personally have not driven the car, but from what I read (feel free to correct me on this one), exhaust leaks can drain power. He took it to one shop and they said there's no problem or leak. Onward to another shop and they said there's a leak 'after the exhaust manifold, but before the cat.'

I did not see it, but the mechanic said I need an aftermarket part and it's going to run me about 300$. I don't know much about these kind of things, so any info would be appreciated.

What exactly is that part called and how much could I get it for?

In this picture, it's labeled 'exhaust pipe'...I think that's what he's talking about.

Last edited by Philip J. Fry; Mar 30, 09 at 07:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    G20.net
    Advertisements

looking for a can opener Jaralaccs's Avatar
    only big exhaust leaks drain power, it would be 10x as loud also

most likely talking about the flex pipe, about a 1ft length

they usually only break because your motor mounts are bad (the exhaust its physically attached to the engine, so it needs to have some flex in it as the engine rocks back and forth/side to side)
    when the mounts go bad or break, the engine rocks too much, causing the exhaust to crack open.

you could also have a leak at the flange before the cat.
    (flanges separate pieces of pipe so you don't have to buy the entire exhaust should something happen to it)
    in between 2 flanges is a gasket, and that can also go bad, and leak. although $300 for just a gasket is really high

time for a 3rd opinion and just remember what they tell you needs to be replaced
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaralaccs View Post
    its fun to do hoodrat shit with my friends

G20 Member
    Ah! Thanks for the quick response!

The first thing makes perfect sense because when I looked in the glove compartment, there was a bill for the starter that was replaced several months ago, but on the work order, the mechanic wrote down "rusted/broken mounts,"...

Err, just spoke with my dad...he said the mechanic said the flexpipe is fine. It's the "J-pipe"-looking pipe that is badly rusted and needs to be fixed...

What is that part called...it's the pipe that connects after the pipe with the O2 sensor...
    Last edited by Philip J. Fry; Mar 30, 09 at 05:19 PM.

looking for a can opener Jaralaccs's Avatar
    well the flex it self usually doesn't break in half, its usually right before/after

here's what your exhaust looks like under your car

between the #2 and 2 is one piece

it isn't smart to fix the exhaust and not take care of the mounts, because its only a matter of time before it breaks again
    any reputable place should have mentioned the mounts, especially if there's a leak because of a broken pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaralaccs View Post
    its fun to do hoodrat shit with my friends

G20.net Staff
    Super Moderator
    For that kind of $$ you can get yourself a new header,and )if your mechanically inclined) install it yourself.

Yup +1 to what Loui said if this is gunna cost you more than a buck 20 or so,
    grab some headers and hack that busted flex pipe (thats what i did w/ a angle grinder) and install a new header...

And btw get the dude at the shop to torch off the old bolts to Put new Bolts to where the downpipe would connect to the cat.. Those are definitely going to be rusted up... \

and pick up a copper gasted from SLimlou.. if he still gots some..

I think I need new motor mounts fak!!

G20 Member
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I had a chance to visually inspect it and yeah, I definitely need to replace that pipe.

I want to buy something (< 200$) that is easy to install and has the holes for the O2 sensor.

All the headers I find on eBay or online are for the P10s...

Will these fit my '99?

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything.

Could someone post a link to something that fits my budget and is easy to install?

Thanks.

G20 Newbie
    Pretty sure I have a similar flex pipe leak, pervious owner had bad motor mounts and claimed the engine was twisting so much it would hit the hood. They replaced the motor mounts.

Question should I seek a junk yard replacement, or should I go to a muffler shop and get something new welded in?

If I don't care much about the motor boat sounding noise, I kinda almost like it, any real danger of having the exhaust coming out there, am I going to bring too much of into the cabin when at stop lights?

TIA

my center pipe (from cat to exhaust) crapped out, had to change the whole pipe cost me alot $400+. this is from a shop.

G20 Junior Member
    Anybody using an engine damper on their motor? If so what brand, id prefer a direct fit rather than having to fabricate some brackets