Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Cost To Replace Front Wheel Bearings?

16K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  polg20 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I know I should probably do this myself, but I was curious as to what is the cost of having the front wheel bearings replaced by a non dealer mechanic?? Anyone have an estimate?

Thank you!!!!

#7 ·
Can you hold those for me for about 3 days so I can make up my mind? I did have one quick question though. With just replacing the hub I won't have to disassemble everything as if I were going to use a press and change the bearings, right? I know I will need to rent a hub puller, but my other question is how do you get the hub back on if you need a hub puller to pull it loose.

Thank you!!!

#8 ·
you wont need a hub puller, just a few wrenches. take brakes off, unbolt top and bottom of hub from uca and lca, unbolt end link from front sway bar, remove axle nut, and itll slide right out. its super easy. and they arent advertised anywhere by me, so they arent going anywhere haha. i have a full parts car barely advertised because i havent had much time.

#29 ·
I was doing some searching on how to remove the wheel hub and this is the best that I could find..it's a how to on replacing wheel bearings. In this picture though it looks as though he has to press the hub out? This is why I was under the impression that I needed a hub puller. Am I missing something?

Thank you!!

I borrowed this picture from a how to on here for replacing wheel bearings.

#13 ·
2 seals 15$ from rockauto
bearing 30$ @ autozone
to get it pressed in at pepboys 35$ , you have to take the hub off and put it back on.
true enough.. all going on the assumption that the hub is still okay (reusable) and not destroyed from driving with bad bearings too long!!!!

#10 ·
you dont have to do an alignment if you take the hub off. youre doing nothing that changes the alignment in any way unless you grab your tie rod and twist it a bunch, but you wouldnt be able to unless you loosen it. theres no reason to get an alignment, thats just a paranoia thing. i pulled both hubs with LCAs attached, swapped trannies, and didnt need an alignment.

#12 ·
This might be me being dumb, but I looked at the AX section in the FSM and I don't see where the hub bolts to anything??? What's the LCA/UCA..?? I know this stands for Lower/Upper Control Arm, but I'm horrible with automotive terminology and I don't see that name used in the FSM...I did remove my whole motor by myself, but I'm horrible with the terminology...haha....

Thank you!!

#14 ·
I'm stuck..now I don't know what to do...I'm thinking of just having a shop take care of this while I'm at work, but do I buy the bearings and have them tell me that the hub is bad. Or do I buy the hub/bearings that Ryan (2000 G-Twenty-T) is selling...??? The shop told me that they can do both wheels for $175 and I've had other stuff done at this shop and they do good work...I just don't know what I should do..any ideas???

Thank you!!

#17 ·
If you can bring your own parts and you'd rather it get done so you don't have down time with the car you rely on to get to/from work, then it sounds like you already made the decision BUT if you have time on the weekend *(and another car to run to/from pep boys for press-in, press-out and want to work on it yourself) then there is your other option.

It's what you want ultimately along with what your pocketbook can stand!

#18 ·
I'm not going to have any time during the week and I really want this taken care of asap! I would like the shop to take care of it, but I don't want to just buy the wheel bearings if they're going to tell me I also need the wheel hubs that need to be replaced. That's where my dilemma is...just buy the hubs/bearings from Ryan or just buy the bearings from Autozone...

#19 ·
6 in one, half a dozen in the other..

If you havent' had the problem very long (just noticed it), hubs are probably fine... otherwise, yes, you'd want new hubs.

Used ones might be fine as well *but with unknown mileage, you never know how long.. could last another 100k miles and be fine, could go bad in a day and you are back to square one (just the gamble you take on used parts)... we installed 2 used front hubs already (1 in p11 and one in p10).. the p11 one is still going fine after a full year and 20k miles.. the used one in the p10 lasted about 400 miles and had to get a new hub AND wheel bearing at that point and do the job all over again so-to-speak...

BTW: I think the only place to get the hub (if not used) is from the dealer so you might want to call Justin (or your local dealership) and make sure he has 'em in stock 'just in case' you need 'em if you go the route of having the shop replace with a new wheel bearing!

#21 ·
hub is bad if it is scored badly (worn/ground in) and not smooth. I know someone has posted a photo before but i don't feel like searching (sorry) and we threw away our bad hubs long ago.

You typically won't know a hub is bad until you pull the wheel bearings and pull it out of the spindle (unless it is bad from some other issue like in the case of our p10 where the hub itself cracked and all around and spun freely --- I think I posted that little event last year but that is much more RARE IMHO)

#22 ·
i did a quick search and only found this

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74268&highlight=bad+front+hub&page=2

I think sr20 forum has a nice bad front hub with nice ground in problem to show clearly. It isn't something you can miss if your hub is bad (It's like grinding in lines on a surface that should be smooth)

I know someone else here showed pics before but my lunch is over and I have to get back to work.

happy searching!

#23 ·
its true, buying used is a risk, but im an honest guy, they were fine on there and if they DID go bad in a reasonable amount of time id work out something with you. i know thats all unofficial and stuff, but i like trying to keep my reputation up on here, so no worries =)
worst comes to worse, itll give you a while to get new bearings and put em in your hubs so later when these do go out youll have em ready. up to you though!

#24 ·
Let me talk this over with the wife..not sure if I want to just get the bearings first and see if the mechanics say I need new hubs or just get yours to have them ready just in case my hubs are bad. Ryan, can you PM me your number and I'll send you a text to let you know? PM me an exact total when you are able to if you don't mind.

Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.