Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

my engine swap

17K views 136 replies 27 participants last post by  gdubb 
#1 · (Edited)
my VE engine swap

DAY 1
well guys on the way home on saturday the 24th my motor started knockin yep a rod knock so that means its time for a motor so on monday i went and got my motor i got a sr20de roller rocker motor and now im gonna put a ve head on it haha this should be a fun car well today i started takein the motor out got the radiator out the header off intake off and started takein out the axels out that will be tomorrow i also got all the fluids drained so not bad for after first day the motorr and tranny will be out on thursday the 29th here are some pics i will post again tomorrow

does anynow know what this is ????

See less See more
#6 ·
gdubb said:
true luis will be up here on saturday and sunday and tuesday you should come thur there will be beer lol
haha i wish bro..... the ONLY days im free from work/school is weekends.... ONLY.. haha thants weekend evenings too! :-\ yeah it sucks ass... i can only really come over and help is when school's over (8/12/06)....

#14 ·
DAY 3 its out
well the motors out 2 of my so call friends were suposed to come by and help me get the motor and trany out but the fake on me (guess you really see who your friend are)but fuck it my cousin came over and we got it out in 3hr. not bad for a first time. we got done about 11:30 so tomorrow luis is commin over and were gonna pull the head off the new motor and then were goin to sanjose to get my clutch and flywheel then sunday luis and walter are commin back over and were gonna put the ve head on and possible do the clutch and mount the tranny then i have to wait for more parts to show up hopefully it will be back in on tuseday the 4th will post more after the weekend here are the pics from last night

there she is the bitch is out thank god

#16 ·
oh yeah rich... since your at it, why not fill in your motor mounts and get some solid mounts?? You've driven my car with it filled with 80shore from McCastercar so you know how it feels ;)

Urethane to fill motor mounts - www.mcmastercarr.com - Part # 8644K11 (80 shore), 8644K18 (94 shore)

#18 ·
SuperblkStalion said:
shhweeet, guess no alarm installthis weekend huh? tahts cool Rich, hope u get it running real soon. i will probably be coming over next weekend if your available/still working on it.
that will work if you want you can come by this weekend will be here some food some beer call me

#20 ·
Engine is ready!

Here is the same writeup I did on SR20Forum.. I am gonna give the G20 guys a few extra pictures though :) I'm hoping my SR20forum pics work here..

What you need..

You need a VE head. I bought this one for $400 from a forum member.

And a block, in my case we found a perfectly good JDM roller rocker at my engine place.

I recommend new head bolts.

And you need some oil line fittings. Specifically 1/8NPT to -6AN (x2) and a 1-2ft length of -6 braided line. Gofastdepot.com sells this "kit" and that is what I used.

Block Prep:

Step 1.

Remove old engine with rod-knock

Step 2.

Remove head off of the roller rocker engine. Now it is no longer a roller rocker engine :D
This engine has a 4 counterweight crank and the oil pump looks just like the VVL one. I also noticed that the pistons seem to be the same as the regular 9.5:1 DE ones. I haven't checked to see if they are taller or not. They have a slight dish and do not have valve reliefs.

I used a razor blade to remove the old lead headgasket. It felt perfectly smooth afterwards.

Gdubb had fun with the spraypaint.

I layed the VE/Metal Headgasket on, I made sure the engine was at TDC and put white out on the corresponding line on the crank pulley for future timing fun.

Block is ready. Now for the head.

#21 ·
The VE head has a threaded hole right in front of the oil passage. I think a bolt for the water pipe bracket goes there. It won't be used for that after this :D

Here you can see the stock passage that gets the oil for the soleniods via the block. It's oozing it's last bit of oil.

You need a 11/32 drill bit for the 1/8 NPT tap. I would recommend a drill press, we didn't have one handy.. so we used the eyeball/hand method ;) I blew air through the hole to get any loose shavings out.

This is kind of a crappy picture, but you can seee the stock oil passage now that we've cut through. I stuck a pick in there to get any extra metal out.

Now it's time to tap. I used a 1/8 NPT tap with some synthetic grease on it. The metal shavings get stuck to the grease leaving us with a clean "hole".

The 1/8NPT to -6AN fitting goes in nicely. I put some teflon tape on the threads when I did the final tightenning for extra insurance.

It's the same process for the oil hole on the bottom of the head. Except you need to plug this hole. I used the 11/32 drill bit to make the hole bigger. Then I used the 1/8NPT tap to thread it. I bought a 1/8NPT plug to uh.. plug the hole. I needed to make sure it was flush at the very least since it wouldn't have sealed right against the headgasket I used. I also used a bit of teflon tape when I did the final assembly.

The head is ready!

#22 ·
We followed the FSM instructions for installing the head/bolts. Everything went without a hitch.

Here are the VE cams waiting to be installed.

VE cams installed. It's the same procedure as the DE. We had a mishap with a bolt on the far left of the exhaust cam. Luckily the roller rocker head provided us with a spare cam bearing bolt :D

Verified cam timing..

Now that the head is buttoned down, I went ahead and got to installing the oil line. Instead of going with a 1.8BSP to 1/8NPT adapter for the oil feed on the block.. I greased up the o'l 1/8NPT tap and threaded it through the hole for the stock oil pressure sender. It just took a couple of turns and it was "converted" to 1/8NPT. No more broken thread converters :D I then screwed in a 1/8NPT "T". I screwed in the last 1/8NPT to -6AN fitting. The second 1/8NPT hole will be used for an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

Here the SS line is installed. It looks like 2feet is a bit too long. I routed it around the oil filter adapter. I might switch to a 1ft hose if it interferes with anything (shouldn't).

From the back again.

All done..

We're just waiting on an intake manifold and water pump before it goes in. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.