Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Featured Member of the Month - August 2007

38K views 74 replies 47 participants last post by  Loek 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
slimlou's (slimlou's) 2001 Infiniti G20t KR4

G20.net: How, when & why did you first acquire your Infiniti G20?
slimlou: I picked it up in September 2004. A former coworker had a ’99 P11 (that he picked up used himself) and was trying to sell it to me about a year of ownership. He wanted a Nissan SUV instead. But he was asking way too much and was just a little too rough for my liking. But liking what I saw, I started to look for another one. Literally the day I started looking, is the same day I found it. And when I called about it, it turned out the person selling it lived less than 4 miles away from me! I went that night to see the car. The main thing that attracted me to it was that it only had 67,000KM on it. And better still, after doing a quick check, it still had about a month left on the factory warranty! I then arranged to take the car to my mechanic a few days later. And the kicker was, she let me take the car with only giving her a copy of my driver’s license & insurance! I guess I have just one of those honest looking faces! Got the green light from the mechanic and a few days later, it was officially mine! Seeing the warranty was almost up, the next trip was to the dealership…. That trip to the dealership got me a new fog light assembly & climate control console through warranty! Basically, this car is the newest and lowest mileage car I have ever owned!

G20.net: What were your original plans for the car and have they changed?
slimlou: Honestly, since I didn’t really know about G20’s before I go it, I didn’t know what could be done to them. So I didn’t buy the car with any preconceived plans. The only thing I said to myself was that I finally have a car that I can/want to mod. And really, the only mods I said I’d do to whatever car I got next, was wheels & suspension work.

G20.net: What performance modifications have you made to your car?
slimlou: Hmmm, The only ‘performance’ mods would be my AEM CAI, SSAC header, Fastbrakes Front Wilwood brake kit, Spec Stage 2 clutch & ZEX/JUN 11lb flywheel, and Remus Bolt-on muffler. Hmm, can you call my TWM short throw shifter a performance mod? How about my NISMO AFPR?

G20.net: Do you have any dyno numbers?
slimlou: LOL Yes, but I’m rather embarrassed by them! Run #2 - 121.9HP @ 6100RPM & 119.7 ft-lbs @ 4200RPM. At the time I only had the CAI and Flywheel done. I wonder what the #’s would be like now with the SSAC header & Remus bolt-on. Te rest of the exhaust remains stock (for now)

G20.net: What suspension modifications have you made to the car?
slimlou: Pretty much all that can be done! LOL I’ve got the TeinSS coilovers, Stillen Front & Rear strut bars (at the time of this post, I actually have the ‘Octotat’ RSTB installed, but the Stillen RSTB will be installed shortly ) and the Maxima Progress Rear Sway Bar. Oh, and if you want to be picky, a few ES bushing upgrades. Is there any other suspension mods left to be done?!?

G20.net:
Any cosmetic modifications to the exterior?
slimlou: I’ve kept this to a minimum. All I’ve done to date is the clear side bumper markers with Red/Amber LED lights. And of course the proudly displayed ‘G20.net’ stickers & license plate frame! I don’t need/want any extra attention. Because of recent idiots, the ‘authorities’ are keeping a keen eye out for cars that ‘only look’ modified to hassle…. Oh, and I have a modded front mesh grill that needs a little more tweaking before it gets installed.

G20.net: How about the interior?
slimlou: Again, I’m purposely keeping this to a minimum as well. I don’t like or want to make it too flashy. So the only interior mods are the ‘350Z’ Clutch, Brake & Accelerator pedal covers, a 10th Anniversary Sunk2 Type-R weighted shift knob, ’02 ‘Sport’ Front floor mats and the ’02 ‘Sport’ aluminum door sill plates.

G20.net: Have you made any upgrades to the stock sound system?
slimlou: To date, no. However, I’ve been considering an upgrade more & more. It’s either (a) upgrading the entire system, (b) just the head unit with an aftermarket amp or (c) just the speakers. After speaking with a few audio experts, it looks like I may just go with a new head unit & Amp. Turns out that the stock speakers are 2ohms. So by by-passing the factory amp, installing a 4-channel amp (with 2ohm impedance outputs) and picking the right head unit, I think I will be a happy camper. As luck will have it, a friend gave me a suitable amp. So now, all I need to do is find the $$ for a head unit to do it!

G20.net: Any future modifications we should look out for?
slimlou: Hmmm, I’m thinking about switching to a WAI setup. From what I’ve been told/heard, we loose a little low end with a CAI (on a basic stock motor). Knowing that a turbo is not anywhere in the near future, I want to keep as much low-end as I can. As for my exhaust, I’m in the process of deciding what resonator to go with. Once that’s decided, then it’s a matter of finding a reputable TIG welder to weld up my 2.25” SS intermediate piping. At which time, I’ll have the bolt-on Remus muffler I have modded so that it has a matching 2.25” inlet vs the 1.75” stock one on it now. The goal with the exhaust is that it will still remain as a much of a stock bolt-on system, except just with 2.25” tubing. Lastly, I’d like to get rid of my ‘boat anchor’ Motegi MR7 rims and go with a light weight rim. I’m liking the price & looks of Motegi’s Tracklite 1.0 or 2.0’s.

G20.net: How and when did you first find G20.net?
slimlou: Right after I picked up my car, I did a Google search about G20’s and that’s how I found this site. I officially took ownership of my car on September 10, 2004 & became a member on the 15th!

G20.net: How has this site benefited you?
slimlou: Where to start/end! This site has been UNBELIEVABLE for me! In no time at all, the fear & unknowns that a car is ‘complex’ is completely gone! Whenever I have an issue, all the info, advice & “how to’s” on this site makes things so easy, that even a 2yr can do them! Also, I’m rather pleased how people ‘check their ego’s at the door’ and have a genuinely +ve attitude and willingness when chiming in to help out a one another. Especially the patience with newbies! After all we all were newbies once ourselves! But above all, there are the countless friends that I’ve made because of being a part of the Gnet family. There are SO many! Some I only know through the exchange of thread postings, some a little more via PM’s & even some through the occasional phone calls. But I swear, after a short time, I fell like I’ve know them forever! And before I forget, I with throw out a HUGE ‘thanks’ all the SOG’s and especially Loek & Loco! The good thing is that Loco’s still around but Loek has moved away! I truly am going to miss our weekend wrenching!

G20.net: Any last comments you would like to make?
slimlou: “Uncle Dave” a moderator? I guess the end IS near…………

On, and SOG’s RULE!!!!!!

Cavern: Additional high quality images (26 in all) can be found by clicking here.

See less See more
#9 ·
slimlou's (slimlou's) 2001 Infiniti G20t KR4

G20.net: Any last comments you would like to make?
slimlou: “Uncle Dave” a moderator? I guess the end IS near…………
Fricken 51st staters!!!
Slim Lou, the first MOTM to recieve a BAN!
I'm gonna leave Zo alone now and pick on Lou.
J/K NiceRide and a top shelf member. Easy Selection. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Nice pics, nice car. Well deserved, about time !! And do we see the reflection of the Man himself in the quarter window ??
Congrats Lou, Nr 1 !!

#24 ·
Thanks! My buddy sure knew how to hide the rust............ Thank-you Photshop....;)
one more p11 for the car of the month

nice car btw
and one more thing is silver or gold??????
Thanks! And yeah, P11's rule. BTW, the colour is KR4, also known as 'Titanium' ewe! LOL

#30 ·
Thanks! Every car I've owned, I've done my best to keep it clean! I guess being in too many cars thinking I was driving around on a McDonald's Garbage can on wheels made me vow I'd never drive/own a car like that.
Congrats, i love your car. You were also very helpful with my mods. KR4 Rules!
Thanks! And Helping out is the lease I can do in return of all the knowledge/help this forum has provided for me!
love the pics with the CN Tower.
What would a photo shoot in Toronto be w/o the CN Tower in it! Gotta r'present the TDot (god I hate that term 'TDot' lol)
... The world could use more "slimlou's"
Be careful what you ask!

#33 ·
Good question! I've heard it referred to that a few time but I too, do not know where it stems from! LOL BTW, Toronto IS Canada! Hmm, Looks like I just threw down the gauntlet! LOL Actually, Western Canada is REAL nice! Especially BC. Been to Vancouver once myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.