Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car one morning did not turn on. Its cranking and everything but it sounds like it’s not catching the spark. I took it to a mechanic (not my regular) that diagnosed the problem as my distributor. I took the car to my regular mechanic, he changed it and it worked fine for a week then it didn’t turn on again but this time in the night. I didn’t drive it all day and when I went to go to drive that night, it did not start. It cranks and everything but same issue, no spark. Car is currently at my mechanic who is puzzled as to what can be the problem and he’s calling in another mechanic for a second opinion. New distributor, alternator, and fairly new battery. Please help

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is the distributor's connector unplugged? I have made the mistake of not plugging it in after installing the new distributor. It was puzzling to me until I saw it was unplugged.

How do you know it is not getting spark? Did you test for spark, or are you assuming?
Are your spark plugs wet after you crank the engine? If so, then there is no spark. If you aren't getting spark, you will notice an odor of raw gasoline and the plug tips will be wet with fuel.

Did your mechanic replace the distributor cap too? Make sure the pick-ups under the distributor cap aren't damaged or burnt out. Also, make sure the core's plug wire is connected properly to both core and distributor cap.
If the plugs are dry after you crank the engine, you aren't getting fuel.
Was the fuse for the fuel pump ever removed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The distributor is brand new from auto zone so I don’t think I have to check the cap or rotor. Mechanic says it’s the ecu because the car won’t start... I’m really at a loss for words at this point

·
Registered
805 Posts
The distributor is keyed but keyed 180* so it may be right or 180* off. When performing a remove and replace job. I cannot help but think the timing is off from the job performed if you cannot start the engine. The engines have a relatively well engineered Distrubutor for its time and requires the engine be placed in perfect sync for the job to come out successful. If you can verify all components required for spark function. Then the next step is fuel. If both are present and you have no ignition, something else goofy is borked (assuming your air intake is not clogged).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts