Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced the clutch on my 2002 G20 Sport and stripped the 10mm hex trans fill plug. I managed to get it out with an extractor tool and get the transmission filled but I don't exactly want to leave the stripped out fill plug in there. I have searched all over trying to find a replacement to no avail. Does anyone have any idea where I might find one?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Helicoil? I know there are rubber plugs that you can use when you strip out an oil pan. Perhaps your local auto parts store sells something similar that might be suitable until you can get it helicoiled. Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been to the store to try and find something that might fit. It's not the threads that are stripped but the place the 10 mm hex goes into the plug. I also tried junk yards but almost everything is automatic. The only manual I found already had the transmission pulled.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Did you try the dealer? Find the part number and then cross reference it to other nissans. I'm betting that plug was on 10 different vehicles. I'm seeing G20 fill plugs listed online for under $5.

Also since the threads aren't stripped maybe there is a way to modify you existing plug to work with another tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the dealer that's a good idea. Where have you been finding the fill plug online? I've been searching everywhere and finding nothing. I've tried summit, rock auto, amazon, even just google searches. I've tried all the local shops too.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
The part number you seek is 32104-6j00b this is the fill plug (NOT the drain plug) for g20 manual transmissions

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I tried the actual Nissan / Infiniti websites for parts. I also googled the part number and several dealers came up. I also saw it on amazon and ebay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Try and find a size bolt that fits snug in the stripped out hole in the plug. As snug as that it needs pressed in with a vice.
After that, i small weld to secure it in place, and "voila" a plug that won't strip out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Solution is simple. This happened to me in my 98 SE-R using a 70V manual trans. The fill plug was all messed up from the previous owner and I didn't realize it until we started doing the new clutch. Remove the vehicle speed sensor that is located on the back of the trans near the firewall. It's like two 10-12 mm bots. Fill the trans fluid that way.

Edit: just realized you already got it filled. Honestly, if you can't find another plug, don't worry about it being stripped because you can always refill the trans this way. It's a couple more steps but it works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Solution is simple. This happened to me in my 98 SE-R using a 70V manual trans. The fill plug was all messed up from the previous owner and I didn't realize it until we started doing the new clutch. Remove the vehicle speed sensor that is located on the back of the trans near the firewall. It's like two 10-12 mm bots. Fill the trans fluid that way.

Edit: just realized you already got it filled. Honestly, if you can't find another plug, don't worry about it being stripped because you can always refill the trans this way. It's a couple more steps but it works fine.
This is awesome! My fill plug got stripped as well and was about to pay a mechanic to remove it and fill the fluid. Now I can just go this route instead and don't have to pay money at least for now.

I've read that the non-LSD trans takes about 3 7/8ths quarts. Is that correct? I bought 4 quarts of MT90 GL4. Just wanted to make sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts