Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you may guess, I have an 02 P11 with 150k on it.

Recently I changed my front pads and noticed that both front wheels are very loose. I thought it was the rotor at first, but after I had everything bolted back up, i could still wobble the wheel pretty easilly... I was not sure if this was normal or not, since it was basically the same amount of play on both fron wheels, so I put it all back together.

Today I am driving on the highway to work, and notice a strange faint sound coming from the drivers front wheel. It sounds like a pulsating noise, which increases with speed, so it either has to be an issue with the rotor/caliper or the wheel bearing.

Has anyone ever had these issues before? I have no problem replacing anything, I just don't want to throw parts at it... in case I am totally wrong.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Common problem. Do a search. The fronts you need to take the hub off and have bearing pressed in. The rears can be purchased as an entire assembly. Good luck. I got 215k on my car and my bearings still seem to be good. That is a job I'm not looking forward to. I hate taking a part off and then taking it somewhere.

I might even buy new hub and bearings and then just install all at once.

One time I swear that I needed new bearings but ended up being really old tires. Maybe a tire rotation to eliminate that as the problem?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I searched and found a few results... I know how to change it, but didn't see anything about it being a common problem.

Thanks for the response man. I guess I will go buy new bearings today and play on disassembling my front drivetrain this weekend.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
i have 165,000 and mine are starting to be a little loose.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is more than a little loose... at least an inch of play in both wheels.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you have that much play I wouldn't drive on it until it's repaired. Catastrophic failure of the bearings could cause the wheels to fall off (literally) which could be very bad news at highway speed. One way or another something is very loose.

Is the looseness when you grab at 6 and 12 on the wheel and shake or is it at 3 and 9?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have that much play I wouldn't drive on it until it's repaired. Catastrophic failure of the bearings could cause the wheels to fall off (literally) which could be very bad news at highway speed. One way or another something is very loose.

Is the looseness when you grab at 6 and 12 on the wheel and shake or is it at 3 and 9?
Its my only car ATM and I have at the moment so I don't have much of a choice. I'm going to get the bearings today and get it done as soon as I can.

I was grabbing at 3,9 and shaking but it happens in all directions. My rotors didn't have any screws, so I thought that may have been it but its not that...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
go to STS and get it done by them, on my parents '00 elantra it cost only $150 for both sides.

mine move maybe about 2mm, not 2 inches. immediate repair is necessary. try to avoid highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
go to STS and get it done by them, on my parents '00 elantra it cost only $150 for both sides.

mine move maybe about 2mm, not 2 inches. immediate repair is necessary. try to avoid highway speeds.
I am probably over exaggerating, but still... I will see if I can get this done tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm taking this to the Infiniti dealer my buddy works at to have it checked out tomorrow. I will report back with the actual issue.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I need a drivers side wheel bearing, a new motor mount and maybe some belts so far....

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drivers side wheel bearing and hub replaced. New belts, and I will need the motor mount which is on the transmission soon. =O

·
Registered
844 Posts
so I think I have this issue as well on my driver side rear.. At 180 k km.

Btw is it a ticking noise?

I picked up a used hub fr: Chris and should do a search but I can't cuz i'm on my I phone... Hopefully I get this issue resolved

1 - 17 of 17 Posts