Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm considering selling the G (for reasons i'll talk about later). i was initially checking out the 98/99 maxima se, but was turned on to the spec-V when i saw the price tag. what do you guys recommend i do. the breakdown is like this (as i see it):

max: 6cyl, 190hp, 30-50k miles, leather, 5spd, more room, $14-17K

spec-V: 4cyl, 175hp, 10-25k miles, leather?, 6spd, less room than the max, but more than the G, $16.5-20K

their is obviously more differences between the two, but those are some important ones to me.

if i keep the G, i'll have to spend around $3k on it fixing hail damage and getting new tires. i want (need) a manual tranny as i have auto now and it's killing me. i also want more power. i know both can be done to the G, but don't know if i want to invest another $3-4k in it. i have 89k miles on it and drive over 20k a year. i know it's a reliable car, but i want something w/ lower miles.

·
Registered
880 Posts
well, the spec V doesn't have leather it has those funky mesh red/black two tone seats. and the six speed isn't that important. If you plan on doing any track driving, I suggest getting the base SER. It still has lsd (viscous not helical) and the tranny is better for racing. whp seems to be the same as the spec V so no real loss there. But if you are just gonna use the car as a street car with perhaps the occasional street race (ugh!) then the spec V would be better as you get the nice stereo, a better lsd, and the econo friendly 6spd tranny.

the maxima is another really great car. roomy, adequate trunk space, and the potential for a lot of hp. I haven't driven any maxima's so I'm unfamilier with their drivability but I know then tend to be rather nice. The car is heavier and will not go as fast stock, but like I said does have the potential for a lot of hp. So it's up to you to decide what you want.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah after some more research i found out the spec-v has those mesh lava seats. i like it, but at the same time i don't know if it's for me. i've driven a couple of maximas, but no spec-vs. i liked the maxima, but i would like to drive a spec-v to see what it's all about. thanks for the info

·
Registered
251 Posts
My family has a 98 max Auto, so I can give you some input on that. It has leather, bose, sunroff,... It has 52k miles on it without any problem and only require regular maintainance. With the 10 BEST engine(VQ30DE), it should run really long without any problem.

Power: Very responsive at highway passing, 0-60 as you can expect from a 190hp V6. If you get a stick, 0-60 is in the sub 7 second.

Maxima are available in 3 trims, SE, GLE, GXE
SE-sport suspension, 16'' , fog lights, spoiler, LEATHER(optional), BOSE(optional)

GXE-Stripped model but still have powerlock, PW....
GLE-Leather, evyerthing but regular suspension, 15'', no foglight..

Also, the Bose Stereo sounds pretty good compare to my G20 Bose, more power

Get the Maxima SE 98, you can pick on up at about 13-15k for a 98 good condition

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the personal insight napakapa. i'm leaning toward the max due to the luxury factor. if i was 17 or 18 i might be going for the spec-v, but i'm older (21) now and need a little class in my ride. if i get a maxima it will def be se and must have stick and leather and either 98 or 99.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Go visit maxima.org where they have lots of info on the max.
The Sentra just feels cheap, even the Spec-V trim, but it has some nice bucket set. The maxima is luxury, and very quite ride. The ride is quite stiff on the SE model though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
napakapa said:
Go visit maxima.org where they have lots of info on the max.
The Sentra just feels cheap, even the Spec-V trim, but it has some nice bucket set. The maxima is luxury, and very quite ride. The ride is quite stiff on the SE model though.
although i'm not a member of maxima.org i visit it almost as much as g20.net. i think they have a shitty server though b/c the website is down a lot of the time. i'm for sure going for a max now, if i sell the G.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I visit Maxima org sometiems too, their server really sucks. It is like you can never reply , read a tread during peak time. If you cant sell your G at a good price, just keep it for a daily commute car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am on the Maxima Org, and yes the server is pretty bad. Reason being is that we constantly get new members joing, and alot of posts. Although some pointless, we still get alot. We actually acquired a new server a few mos back, and now we obviously need to go even bigger.

As far as the decision for your new car, I have and personally love the Maxima. There is so much possible to do to them for power it is ridiculous.

--Don

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice (which was biased, but i still agree). i figured that was the reason for the poor server.
i will be getting a maxima, but not for a couple months at least. i need to get a real job w/ consistent paychecks rather than what i have now (cash only work). i also just made a hefty investment in a pistol (h&k usp9compact for those that know or want to know).

so maxima it is, but for now the G is just great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts