Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know what is to become of nissan's flagship. personally, i think that the '07 altima is a much better buy. hell, i'd take the current se-r over it. I think it's oversized, first of all... what ever happened to the "4dsc"? but oh well, not the point. i heard that the maxima has been redesigned for the '07 model year, so i go to www.nissanusa.com and all i notice is a new front end...ok. so then i figure hey maybe they changed some mechanicals and gave it some more hp to better compete with the avalon. nope. in fact, it has 10 less horsepower than before. wtf? so now the smaller, ligher, cheaper altima has 10 more horsepower than the flagship, and, imo, looks better as well. i dont know if the maxima is going to last at the rate it's going. i think the new altima is more of a maxima than the maxima.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
yeah, i don't know what to think either...did you see the "skyview" sunroof, seems kind of strange too. It's rectangular going the length of the car instead of like a traditional one from one side of the car to other.

http://www.nissanusa.com/see_all_nissan_vehicles.html
http://www.nissanusa.com/maxima/

I would have to say my fav max was the '02-'03 style. But I guess I should wait until I really see this one in person

·
Registered
504 Posts
I guess I'm pretty fond of it. I think the latest body style has really nice lines and looks rather sporty for a car of its size. The new front end is a great improvement - it has the overall appearance of the 350Z now.

I know what you mean about the overall size and moving away from the Maxima 4dsc image of yesterday. It seems Nissan saw enlarging the Altima as a chance to place it in competition with the Camry and Accord. Prior to the Maxima's latest update, the 2003 Altima was actually bigger than the Maxima (but the Maxima was upscaled in 2004). Nissan appears to be pushing the 'flagship' image of the Maxima - it just seems to go along with the gradual trend of all cars increasing in size. So technically, the Altima now targets the demographic that the Maxima formerly handled. Strange marketing - but it parallels the trend of the economy cars as well - like the Sentra increasing in size to the point that a new, smaller vehicle is needed to replace the gap (the Versa). Toyota and Honda have done the same with the Yaris and Fit, too for the ever-growing Corolla and Civic. At this rate, the Sentra, Corolla, and Civic are going to be full size family sedans! (Let's hope not)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
That sunroof is weird...seems like it's meant to give views to people in the back seat too, but all I can think is that everyone in the car except maybe be back middle seat will have to crane their necks to look out, since it runs down the center. It seems like the more traditional way makes sense, or if they did it the way they did, they should have had two running down directly above the driver/passenger seats.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i forgot to mention that it also gets a cvt so maybe they lowered the hp because the cvt couldnt handle 265.... just a guess

i think that this is a very cool angle of the car.

·
Registered
504 Posts
junknstuff said:
i too have a feeling that the maxima may be going down the hole and the altima will just take over now.... :-\
I'm not sure why the outlook for the Max is so dire - it's just a matter of marketing strategies. The Altima is no longer a compact sedan, and as such, it is in position to take on the Camry and Accord. I guess Nissan felt the need to play up the Maxima as their premium sedan, which is sad if you want it to maintain its previous characteristics, but I bet it will continue to sell well. It pains me to say it, but now the Maxima is apparently a sporty, "younger" alternative to the Toyota Avalon (same wheelbase dimensions, Avalon is 3.5" longer overall). This move also allows Nissan to charge even more for the Maxima, too. It's kind of like the big-car alternative to buyers who think the Infiniti G35 is too small, it still assumes some prestige (I guess) since it's the "flagship". If I really wanted a huge sedan, then I certainly wouldn't pass on the Maxima, but that's just me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
sentra024 said:
but didnt they do that last year? it was still at 265 last year
SAE devised a new method of measuring horsepower in late 2004 or early 2005, in order to better assure consistency. As cars are redesigned, manufacturers are stating hp using the new standard. Most or all cars tested using the new standard show a drop in horsepower. I wonder if that's the reason for the drop in the Max's numbers.

As for the size, I used to own a 1989 Maxima SE. What a great car! Not only was it reliable, it really seemed to live up to Nissan's marketing it as a 4DSC. I don't care for the size, looks, or odd bits like the new sunroof on the newest Maximas.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a 00 that my wife sports around in. It has been very reliable for 70K. I would never own another one because it is a V6 that REQUIRES 93 octane. Great engine, tons of room, nice suspension...but the gas requirement will keep me away from another. I like the European...well hell, the rest of the worlds approach- tiny, tiny 4cyls that run off alcohol.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
There is a new hp rating for Japanese cars that actually under rates them for the US market to compete.
This just may be rated as the newer rating system.

·
Registered
218 Posts
1995 Maxima

I used to own a 95 Maxima. That has got to be the most fuel efficient v6 that I know of. It was a good car but I am happy I don't own one now..like pauley said 93 octane is mandatory fuel.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Jonny Clark said:
I used to own a 95 Maxima. That has got to be the most fuel efficient v6 that I know of. It was a good car but I am happy I don't own one now..like pauley said 93 octane is mandatory fuel.
My parents have a 1997 Maxima they've owned since 2000 - they've probably never put a drop of premium fuel in it, the gauge cluster doesn't mention the requirement like some cars (I haven't looked at the owner's manual). They usually put in 87 octane and it runs great at 120k miles, the idle isn't quite as smooth as it once was, even after a tune-up, but it's in great shape.

I'm no expert, but I've read many articles regarding the necessity of premium fuel that say that it's mostly a wash. Car and Driver took an M3 and dyno-ed it on different octanes and found that the highest premium gave it about 5 hp more at the peak. They said that it seemed to run fine on the lower octanes. Of course, I don't know what it would do in the long run to continually run it on lower octane. I know my parents have put on somewhere around 80,000 miles on the VQ30DE on 87 octane with nary a problem - but that's just one example.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wtf?!

Im my opinion Nissan is going the WRONG direction with styling!
It's a sad day when it's difficult to tell a Maxima from an saturn! :baffled:

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
sentra024 said:
i forgot to mention that it also gets a cvt so maybe they lowered the hp because the cvt couldnt handle 265.... just a guess
i designed a group of variable gearboxes (and even made one of them) in grade school for a science competition but noone paid attention. i don't know how they are making them today, but if it's anything like the sketches I came up with, i'd be difficult to carry a high torque capacity.

hp levels dropped in 2005, toyota and honda were hit hardest. SAE had new standards, and they also did away with the "round off to the nearest five" when listing horsepower. everyone knew toyota had inflated hp values, they like to bend rules. look how often they're caught in motorsports.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts