Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok wtf is up with this gas milege i have a p10 with a gtir motor. only upgrades are a k&n cone filter,walbro 255 pump,3 inch exhuast and thunder volt spark plug wires.last time i fille dthe tank up with 93 octane. i got 139 miles until it was empty.so im like wow thats rediclulous. so i do it agein.fill it up with 93 drive 148 miles and tank is empty.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Its either your dumping fuel or its something electrical. Play around with your plugs gaps, timing, tps, cap and rotor first, then reset your ecu. I used to get 25-30mpg with my gtir and I had cams. My friend with his BB got 25mpg in his G20 just for reference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i am having a similar problem with my 92 p10. the tank is supposed to hold 15.85 gallons according to the owners manual. but when it gets to E and i fill up it only ever hold between 6 and 8 gallons. whats going on with that? couold it be some sort of fuel level sensor gone bad or what??? the guage need replacing? just curious.

HEY CITYSTREETS, RUN YOUR CAR TO "E" AND THEN FILL IT UP AND NOTE THE AMOUNT OF GALLONS IT TAKES. MAYBE YOU ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS I AM?

·
Registered
431 Posts
1) Fill up tank.
2) Reset trip odometer.
3) Drive until you need to fill up again (I wouldn't suggest going below 1/4 tank).
4) Record how many gallons it took to refill tank.
5) Divide the miles driven by the amount it took to refill tank
example:(i.e. 238 miles/ 7.6 gallons = 31.3 mpg)
6) Reset trip odometer again.
7) Repeat these steps.

I've always kept track of mpg (not just 'cause I'm cheap :p , but because it's a great measure of the engine's health).

Once you've recorded a few tankfuls accurately, you can better discern what's up.

Remember- Wintertime gas (oxygenated) always returns less mpg than the summer blends.

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes the tank is 15.85 gallons but the reserve in the tank after the light comes on is 4 gallons. you can only burn 1 gallon of the reserve before the fuel pump is no longer able to pick up fuel so basically
15.85 - 4 + 1 = 12.85 gallons available to burn per tank. so your tank is correct.
all these measurements are not exact but they are pretty damn close!!!

what do you guys think is wrong with mine? guage or fuel level sensor?

·
Registered
844 Posts
back to the original question...........
how well is the car tuned and whats your engine management?
how do you drive?
how many gallons do you use when you get 140 miles?

it seems that most p10 gauges are fairly inaccurate. i reset the trip every time i fill up then divide the miles on the trip by the amount it takes to fill up and get a rough mpg estimate. i wanna know what kind of gas mileage your getting so if i can tell if its your gauge or your gas mileage.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The popping is an exhaust leak that you have which is mixing with the extra gas that is getting dumped regardless if you have no cat or 3 inch back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DonSwier said:
1) Fill up tank.
2) Reset trip odometer.
3) Drive until you need to fill up again (I wouldn't suggest going below 1/4 tank).
QUOTE]

Why do you suggest not going below 1/4 tank? I have removed fuel pumps from 5 year sitting cars and misc other cars in similar or worse condition of all makes and models. i have NEVER seen this "sledge buildup" that everyone seems to be paranoid about when they run their tank dry, furthermore your fuel pump is only capable of sucking all but about 1-3 gallons of fuel out before running dry depending on the car and gastank design, so even if there WAS crap in the bottom of the tank, the pump couldnt pick it up.... and even furthermore, there is a screen/felt filter bag on the end of the pickup tube, so that would get clogged up before even going through the pump anyway.... so what gives with your reasoning for only going to 1/4 tank. Im not trying to be an asshole or anything i'm just trying to figure out what you base this on.

·
Registered
844 Posts
citystreetsbimmer said:
greddy type RS atmoshere vented , k&n con filter 3 inch exhuast huge front mount. stock gti-r ecu and stock gti-r mass air sensor

that may be part of your problem. the gti-r as well as all sr20det's to my knowledge are recriculated.

·
Registered
494 Posts
They are recirculated but it doesnt cause the engine to drink gas. My gtir as well as all the other ones in NYC ran open BOV and ran fine. Considering I got 30mpg consistently with it open...the problem is likely electrical unless the spring on the BOV is left open so you can hear it whenever you let go of the gas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts