Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Nissan Primera GSi P10
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased my first Nissan Primera after wanting one for many years. Being from the UK I thought it would never happen as most of them have rotten away. I picked this up from a welshman (completely sight unseen) who had previously owned 2 eGTs and actually owned his own dealership. This car was his and he owned it for 14 years, although for the last 12 it hadn't been used. The car has been garaged for most of its life but there are some rusty bits, as I will show below.

The car being delivered!

Some interesting things I noticed immediately. The lack of radiator left haha! Also an asbestos firewall?

Original tape deck?

Engine looks good, maybe a rocker cover gasket leak but other than that seems okay. Its a single port SR20 and has covered 140k miles.

My plans for this car include a 5 lug hub conversion, some R32/33 GTR front seats, R32 GTR wheels, coilovers, half cage, full interior. Nice an OEM+. Potentially and engine swap in the future to a more modern unit.

More to follow...

Fletch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After have a quick look around I decided to give it a quick clean and get it into the garage and up in the air, at this point I wasn't sure whether it had the rear independent suspension. I was happy to find that it does and apart from a small coating of dust/mud the components and rear sub frame all look in great condition. The previous owner completely undersealed the car at some point which I think has helped. The rear arches and sills have been repaired in the past.

Fronts are bit cob webby, but over all very solid.

Cheers,
Fletch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decided to try and track down some of the orange stuff, I know there will be some somewhere. Living in the UK these cars ALWAYS have rust on them, they just do. This is showing signs on the exterior so there I knew there would definitely be some lurking within. I started by removing the rear seats and peeled back the carpet. Alot of you will know they are renowned for going bad in this area.

Nice self tapper left behind by the previous repairer. It looked abit crunchy here so was worried that it may need re-doing, however despite its looks, it passed the screw driver test and seems solid. I will be spending some time make this abit more presentable in the future.

Bit of surface rust, but again all solid suprisingly.

After a quick clean up with the wire brush, I will be protecting these areas (infact probably the whole rear seating are and floor).

Now, into the boot (trunk)....

After the screwdriver test....

This is the right hand side of the vehicle (always worse in the UK) as we drive on the left, so when parked up in the street, this is the side that is next to the moving traffic. Gets all the splash back and road debris soaked into it. After I found this I was pleasantly surprised, it could have been ALOT worse and this should be relatively easy to contain and repair.

Pictures of the left hand side rear arch and floor highlight this difference.

Boot floor looks okay as well. Bit of surface but thats all! Happy days!

Cheers
Fletch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Further exploration into the boot area I discovered the original jack and tools!

And underneath....

Very orange! This area seems to have been full of water at some point and for some considerable time by the looks of it :(. After this I decided to get abit stabby and it went straight through, so that area will all need to be cut out and replaced. Looking deeper into that rear arch area I discovered another patch on the inner arch so this will need repairing. I poked this through to the outside aswell.

Unfortunately, removing the rear bumper exposed the worst of the rust. Prepare your eyes.

More to follow...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was the aftermath of all my poking around in the right hand side chassis leg...

And just a comparison, the left hand side of the car, once again, is in much much better shape.

Overall it isn't great, but compared to others i've seen and even some P11s I've seen it could have been way worse. I'm quite happy that the work required will only effect one side. Now time to get saving up ready to get it sorted. I'll keep this thread updated with any work I do or bits I buy for this :)

Cheers guys,
Fletch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up treating myself to an early birthday present! Allllllll the way from Japan! Don’t see these everyday!

Oops! Now time to save for rust repairs!

Fletch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts