Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the DE decided to start knocking and I needed a new engine. I called my brother and asked him, "What he thinks about doing a DET and he agreed." He made a few calls and found an Avenir for $900 with the ecu and an uncut wiring harness. The project took about three weeks for all the fabricating we did. I will go into details about that later with the pics.

Me holding the front bumper before it was modded it for the intercooler and piping. Yes this was a state issued plate I did not request it.

Me on the left and my brother on the right after the engine was removed.

Close up of the engine bay.

The SR20DE RIP. The second best engine I have ever had.

Closer view of the SR20DE

View of the front end. You can see the marking where we were gonna fabricate the front bumper for the intercooler.

This view you can see all of the stuff we left just hanging after the engine was pulled.

Last one for now.
More to come I have to get with my brothers wife and get copies of the entire project. Let me know what you think.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Indeed....

·
Questioning Answers
6,851 Posts
see your setup scares me.....

i wanna...edit ....i AM turboing mine VERY shortly, but wanna keep my fogs....i havew seen quite a few turbo p10's, but none had fogs....is it not possible to route the IC piping with the fogs?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice build man! Glad my thread was of help. Hanzzz was a big help for my build too. I need to get mine ironed out and get some vids...

2200 lbs? is it stripped?

I was under the impression my full interior was around 2900

·
Registered
231 Posts

i wanna...edit ....i AM turboing mine VERY shortly, but wanna keep my fogs....i havew seen quite a few turbo p10's, but none had fogs....is it not possible to route the IC piping with the fogs?
stock top mount w/ stock GTi-R hood.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think it is possible with better piping than what I had. I had one of those ebay kits. If you get the right bends with around the intercooler it could possibly work.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I doubt your car is randomly 450lbs lighter than stock.
I guess I will have to find the paperwork and scan it in so you can see for yourself. The scales I had it weighed at are calibrated every six months because it is a big truck station.

I hope this clears up some details for ya

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is the last of the pics on the swap. Feel free to let me know what you think

The SR20DET going into its new home

Closer view If you notice in the finished pics we had to clean up the heat shields. We did this by sandblasting them and painted them with high heat paint.

My brother did a really good job of cleaning the engine he used engine degreaser and a pressure washer to do this.

Another view of the engine

The crossmember had to be cut and reinforced to make room for the turbo outlet

Another shot of the crossmember

Another one

The finished product on the crossmember

Another angle

and another

front engine mount bracket had to be repaired

Another angle

yet another angle

A shot of the intake and intercooler piping

another angle

Backside of the intake manifold

Shot of the intake

Front of the engine without the radiator

The intercooler piping before we made a last second change

Pic of the blow off valve and the intercooler piping

This is how we mounted the turbo outlet for the piping

You will notice we cut the front bumper and reinforced it so the intercooler would not hang so low. I also threw a couple layers of flat black paint on the bumper to stop rust.

You can also see all the major parts of the 2.5 exhaust we made. Resignator, high flow cat, and what i call the exhaust sock (this allows for flex and an easier install on the exhaust).

The finished product

The finished product II

Shot from the passenger side

Shot from the driver side

You can see how we ran the intercooler piping eventually. To try and help the intercooler from getting too messed up I went to a hardware store and bought flooring mesh (aka grill mesh) and cut and sized it for the grill. It takes a little bit of effort but it turned out alright.

Somewhat closer view. You can also see how musch you need to cut out of the bumper when you do this sort of thing

another shot of the front

My niece Ivie wanted to pose in front of the G20

My brother on the left and me on the right. I have to say thanks very much to Little John. Without him this project would've never been started let alone finished.

Another one of us

A shot of us from the front

The view of the front end notice how much of the bumper had to be cut for the intercooler and the piping and my ghetto wire mesh grille job.

You might have noticed that I did not relocate the battery to the trunk. We widened the factory intake hole, rotated the battery and cut a corner off the tray.

Last one
http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad77/Skywank3r/?action=view&current=DSCN4196.flv
Here is a vid of some of the details on the car.

I hope you all have enjoyed this. I will admit that doing a DET swap sounds awesome but it takes a lot of effort and a great deal of fabrication. I would like to thank all of my family and friends for their support and especially Little John without him none of this would've been possible. The next thing is put in my racing seats, fix a few dents, and get her a nice paint job. I will start a new forum on that project when it happens.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts