1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1993 p10 / Clunking in rear over small bumps at low speeds

Good afternoon everyone

Been trying to debunk this small issue.

Somewhere in the rear there is a clunking noise over smaller bumps from 5-30ish mph. Havent really heard it going any faster.

So far I have jacked up the car and held and wiggled the tire at 9&3 and 12&6 to see if there was any play in the wheel. Seems very sturdy. Also had the rear end jacked up and left e brake off and spun the wheel while holding the spring to see if I can feel anything that would indicate a bad wheel bearing. Didnt feel/hear anything.

Anyone experience this before with their g20? Only info I could find that could be the possible cause is the upper strut bushing (which seems like a silly cause) or the sway bar endlinks (which look pretty good)

Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated. I have always serviced my own vehicles and like to save the money from having to take it to someone and pay the labor.

New to nissans and the suspenison setup is a little different than what im used to working on, so any pointers would be great.

Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
check your spare in the boot!
i had a full size spare instead of the space-saver and the secure bolt couldn't reach the nut under the wheel.
each time i would go over a bump, it would bounce, making a clunking noise. had the guy at the garage i took the car to each time for its warrant baffled on what and where the noise is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Just went out and checked, and its secured down nice and tight.

I also got under the car and started lightly tapping things with a rubber mallet. I tapped the sway bar and it definitely has small play at the bar and bushing, but not at the end links. The bushings tthemselves look great. No cracking or anything, but are not tight against the bar. Im going to disconnect the end links sometime and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a update just for future reference to any one who may ever experience this. Turns out it was the sway bar bushings. Literally a 16th of an inch of play between the bar and bushings caused that annoying clunking.

Take care everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.