Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm leaving work & start the car up, then I hear this kinda loud "crunch" sound from the front like if something got caught on the fans or something. I put the car in gear, in drive and then switch to reverse, but there is no torque or "umph" feeling when switching gears. I immediately notice that something isn't right. I start driving but I have to give it more gas & feels like 1st gear isn't hitting & goes into 2nd gear. I checked the tranny oil while car was on & it's about halfway full, maybe just a little bit lower than halfway but dipstick shows it has some.

So now I'm wondering if it's maybe low on tranny fluid(which I'll add more in the morning and see what happens), or maybe my synchros or torque converter are starting to take a sh**?? This is my DD so fixing this issue is mandatory for me. I did a search but only came up with very little info. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
if anything it sounds like its your torque a lot of the times when gears shift slowly its the torque i say this because the trans is still shifting the solenoids are still doing there thing but the torque is slow to respond, while your at it change seals too check your output shaft that its all in one piece the two notches where the converter goes in to some times break. But first i would just add oil level out the car and take it out for a nice ride around town GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Check your voltage, might be alternator. Mine did that when it was raining, diode popped from the current draw of the starter. Been looking for ways to isolate the starter from power and ground from rest of the car. Good thing i have no a.c. 10 minute alternator change. Got me a lifer warranty from oreilly, duck it, ill need that warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies. Well now a few days ago car completely gave out. It turns on but no gears will go in now & left me stranded. Gonna see if maybe changing the tranny oil will make a difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That loud crunch sound is concerning. FWIW I use Valvoline MaxLife ATF in my 1999 G20. Good luck..

·
Registered
419 Posts
X2 on maxlife. Hold pressure better, and doesn't bubble as much. With a white bottle of lubegard trans flush to keep valve body clean. It's fine to leave in, used for a long long time. Cooler check valve stick from clutch dust, converter drains while off and start dry= crunch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I ended up taking it to a tranny mechanic, they ended up changing the torque converter & I believe also some oil pump in the tranny?(Cant fully remember I don't have the receipt with me) but the tranny still slips?? Wth! I'm pretty frustrated & upset at this point & I'll definitely be taking it back. Sorry for the rant but any more input from you tech gurus out there is still much appreciated. I dont want to keep dumping anymore unecessary $$$ also. Might take the car out for a short drive to see if maybe anything changes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That sucks...tranny shop can't even diagnose correctly. Do you remember doing anything that might have caused the transmission to break in the first place? Maybe shift out of reverse while moving or something? Seems odd that it would tap out randomly. Hope the issue gets resolved (currently dealing with auto tranny problems as well lol)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sucks...tranny shop can't even diagnose correctly. Do you remember doing anything that might have caused the transmission to break in the first place? Maybe shift out of reverse while moving or something? Seems odd that it would tap out randomly. Hope the issue gets resolved (currently dealing with auto tranny problems as well lol)
I know I'm starting to see that, or they'll just recommend a new tranny/rebuild smh. I might've hit the gas too hard at one point or two but it's been almost 5 years since it got serviced for almost the same thing. Maybe it's just time again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Check inhibitor switch make sure it's aligned. In neutral with a 4mm or 5/32 drill bit the holes should line up. And a band adjustment. T30 torx bit and a 14mm open wrench.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes agree with MFN if its the original one they do go bad some times you can find them at pick a part for dirt cheap and most nissans will fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: So after checking connections in the engine bay & searching for info on here, looks like my culprit might be my tranny mount! It's so worn out that it makes the tranny move back and forth. I made a temp fix by stuffing two pieces of tire rubber in front of the mount and then bam the car ran much better. I can't get a mount yet as I'm currently broke but I'll post an update after I get one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it the driver-side engine mount behind the battery, or the ones on the crossmember? Nice quick fix!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it the driver-side engine mount behind the battery, or the ones on the crossmember? Nice quick fix!
The drivers side mount. But I think I spoke too soon though because it started acting up again earlier 😞 Guess it's back to troubleshooting again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts