Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1955 Posts

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Some of your may recall another thread I posted about "that sound of a V8". Well, I was looking into getting a 1969 Olds 442 with the V8 -400cid engine. Here's some pics of it as it was just pulled out of an old ass barn! 20 something years of dirt and crap on it. Odometer shows 18k miles...probably has 118k miles on it since it was put into that barn in the early 80's. The engine is out of the car (I saw it on Saturday) and let me say....goodness. The owner pulled the valve covers and oil pan. This thing is clean....has only 2600 miles on a complete rebuild job, 10.5 cr, 5 angle valve job, & mondello high lift/duration cam. Still see the hone marks in the cylinders and no sludge anywhere...even the oil pan! Woo hoo! Oh, the engine was rebuilt by a guy that professionally raced cars in the 70's & 80's. I met him and he has all sorts of pictures & awards in his garage! His name is Jim, don't recall his last name.

The owner is registering the car within the next week and going to install the engine/tranny the following week and get her running. I opted to go with headers, edelbrock aluminum intake manifold, and some performance 4 barrel carb. Ignition has already been updated...no more points/condensor. The engine builder says it should produce at least 425hp to the crank or about 350 whp. The turbo 400 tranny will have a 2800 stall, and I will have them put in 3:55 gears with a good posi/limited slip. The exhaust will most likely be 3 chamber flowmasters with 2.5" duals from the headers back.

So here she is....not pretty to look at b/c the 20 something years of grime. Surprisingly there is little rust on the car...nothing on the doors, quarter panels, roof or hood. Has some on the front fenders and trunklid. Most likely will replace with aftermarket parts.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
GO BABY GO!!1

:drool::cheeky::drool::cheeky::drool::cheeky::drool::cheeky::drool::cheeky::drool::cheeky::drool::cheeky:

how's the interior? the pics make it look pretty filthy. nothing a decent washdown and maybe some buffing to clean up. i love the patina of original survivor paint jobs. :)

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original paint on the quarter panels is almost like new....however, the top of the roof has taken a beating. Definitely needs a paint job. I was impressed with how little rust is on it. I found one dent in the hood, about the size of a silver dollar...other than that....it's straight. It will get washed this week and over to the garage over the weekend. Once it's there i'll take more/better pics.

The interior is fair. I am going to have them replace the fabric, carpet, etc, etc. That's probably going to be the most expensive part. Where should I get the aftermarket interior....jegs, jcwhitney, year1? The previous owner (back in the early 80's) was stripping the car down for it to be a race car....idiot. The current owner and I think that was so stupid to do for a matching #'s 442. All well.

I can take off the wheels and drive them to L-ville in my pickup truck. How much do you want to sandblast and paint the wheels??? =)

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Get your interior from Year One, you're right next to them anyways. Wait for their 20% off coupons which they do every couple months, it'll save you money. Alternatively, interior shops charge around 800 to 1200 for a decent job replacing carpet, seat covers and headliner. I remember that Tom and his '71 Riviera got new seat covers, door panels (and you know how big those are on that car) and rear package shelf and I think that was 800.

As for sandblasting, I got a hood, 80 grit glass bead, and a gravity feed 20 lb. capacity tank and nozzle. it's small enough to be portable. Do you have an air compressor? I won't charge anything other than what the media costs to blast them. We could probably have them cleaned abount an hour a wheel depending how terrible they are. I don't remember much from the last time I did sandblasting a few years back, it was on an exhaust manifold.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
P.S., don't forget Goodmark is located right here in Lawrenceville, just on the other side of downtown Lawrenceville from my house. They've got new sheetmetal for all GM muscle. They could probably get you the hood and fenders you need over the counter.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet man....i appreciate the info.
Yes, I have a compressor. It's only a 5 gallon. I have a 13 gallon & 20 gallon and sandblaster....but they are in California. Will be shipping them out later this year so it doesn't do us any good now.

As soon as they get started on the project i'll touch base with you. The car will be located in Lilburn/Snellville area while it is being "restored". I can bring my Tacoma and load up the parts and we can blast them =)
Totally appreciate it.

Once this thing gets done and is road worthy, COMMERCE DRAGWAY it is....

-Brian

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
i got a 5hp/60gal compressor at my place. all we'd need is a big tarp, duct tape, extra glass bead media, wire brushes (trip to harbor freight) and a 12 pack of beer. :smoke:

year one has the correct wheel paints and masking tape. autozone wheel paint would work fine as well i think :shrug: i also have an hvlp gun, so if you like we can also spray the wheels if we have time. i have a hot rod issue where they painted up some rally wheels, i'll check it again when i get home. i'm leaving this evening for a trip to D.C. and won't be back till sunday late night.

would you be able to remove the tires too? i know i won't, i'm cheap enough to refuse to pay tire remounting costs lol. i'm going to be sandblasting my quarterpanels and wheels not this weekend but next weekend, so i guess i'll learn quite a bit more before we hit your wheels.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
burningsquirrels said:
i got a 5hp/60gal compressor at my place. all we'd need is a big tarp, duct tape, extra glass bead media, wire brushes (trip to harbor freight) and a 12 pack of beer. :smoke:

year one has the correct wheel paints and masking tape. autozone wheel paint would work fine as well i think :shrug: i also have an hvlp gun, so if you like we can also spray the wheels if we have time. i have a hot rod issue where they painted up some rally wheels, i'll check it again when i get home. i'm leaving this evening for a trip to D.C. and won't be back till sunday late night.

would you be able to remove the tires too? i know i won't, i'm cheap enough to refuse to pay tire remounting costs lol. i'm going to be sandblasting my quarterpanels and wheels not this weekend but next weekend, so i guess i'll learn quite a bit more before we hit your wheels.
great. I have a tarp and duct tape. Harbor Freight rocks, had them in Cali..! I can handle bringing the beer, though you will drink 10 of 'em and i'll have 2. =) Let me know where to find media bead and I can get that too. Definitely will have to do this sandblasting at your place. The snobs and nazi homeowner association would sh*t a brick if I worked on anything over here!

The tires are toast....been on the car for probably as long as you have been alive :lol: I will have them removed after the blasting painting, then drop them off at costco for new tires.

Year One is in Hoschton/Braselton, right off exit 129. About 5 miles from me. If you find a 20% coupon, let me know. The guy that i'm buying the car from has many contacts for new/used/etc parts and seems to know his stuff. I've know him for awhile so I trust the guy.

I'm hoping the entire project will not break the bank. That crap gets expensive. and worst timing. I just bought a commercial office building for my business AND we are having another lake house built in South Carolina. HOpefully I won't go broke before I can enjoy this beast!!!

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
harbor freight is in lilburn. take indian trail exit off i-85 going eastbound. harbor freight is in a shopping plaza on the southwest corner of l'ville hwy 29 and indian trail. i probably put a grand into that store the past couple of months too, lol.

we can probably hit the tires with a sawzall and just use wd-40 to keep the blade moving :shrug:

year one's cruises are great, we can go once the olds is ready and maybe the nova if it's got at least a coat of primer :cheeky: if it were me, i'd just clean off the olds, make it move under its own power with the motor, put t-shirts or beach towels on the front seats, make sure the brakes and lights work, then OMG ITS GO GO POWAR TIME!!1 :rockin:

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
burningsquirrels said:
harbor freight is in lilburn. take indian trail exit off i-85 going eastbound. harbor freight is in a shopping plaza on the southwest corner of l'ville hwy 29 and indian trail. i probably put a grand into that store the past couple of months too, lol.

we can probably hit the tires with a sawzall and just use wd-40 to keep the blade moving :shrug:

year one's cruises are great, we can go once the olds is ready and maybe the nova if it's got at least a coat of primer :cheeky: if it were me, i'd just clean off the olds, make it move under its own power with the motor, put t-shirts or beach towels on the front seats, make sure the brakes and lights work, then OMG ITS GO GO POWAR TIME!!1 :rockin:
hahaha! I have to have it looking good. Though that is tempting....! :lol:

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
oh come on, nothing like the feeling of just getting it onto the road with open headers at 6 am to the local breakfast joint after an all-nighter rush to make everything work. lookin' good ain't nutt'n if ya can't get 'er movin' good first :D

YUO KNOE IT!!1

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw a silver (w/black strip) Olds 442 in my sub-d last night. What a nice looking car. I can't wait until this barnyard beasts gets transformed into a Sunday driver!!!

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm 100% ready to take on a muscle car....woo hoo!

I have been wanting a muscle car for over 15 years now! ---since I was a teenager driving a damn gutless 1986 Nissan Truck...haha! It just wasn't practical growing up in Southern California where there was traffic and heavy emission laws. Now that I'm in Georgia and anything goes ---BECAUSE THIS IS MUSCLE CAR TERRITORY...i'm ready.

Just figuring out which vehicle will be kicked out of the garage. Can it be the Tacoma? The G20? The G35? Perhaps I need a bigger garage? =)

Time shall tell I guess. Just hoping I can tollerate 37 year old technology...crappy brakes, shitty handling, dealing with carburators, no airbags or ABS, etc. I am use to modern technology. Let's hope I can deal with it so I don't have to get a C6 vette instead. ;)

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
it's the old tech that gives these cars character and is just part of the fun in owning a muscle car :cheeky:

in practicality, i say kick out the tacoma. in dreamland, i'd build another garage just for the 4-4-2. put an old 60's gas pump and service station light out front with a 60's coke bottle machine, and dress up the inside with oldsmobile nostalgia. :smoke:

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
burningsquirrels said:
it's the old tech that gives these cars character and is just part of the fun in owning a muscle car :cheeky:

in practicality, i say kick out the tacoma. in dreamland, i'd build another garage just for the 4-4-2. put an old 60's gas pump and service station light out front with a 60's coke bottle machine, and dress up the inside with oldsmobile nostalgia. :smoke:
YIKES....that sounds expensive. The only problem I have with building a garage is my lot and the nazi HOA. First off, the house is 4200 sq ft...so there is no room on the lot for an additional garage. Second, I can't build a detached b/c of the nazi's at the HOA.

We have been entertaining the idea of getting some property in Suwanee and building a custom home with at least a 4 car garage (I like 5 or 6). The only issue is Suwanee is utterly expensive. A good lot is $300,000 or more. OUCH! To build the house we have now, but with a 4 car garage is another $400,000 easy. DOUBLE OUCH!!! (oh the reason of Suwanee, I bought an office building there so we are moving the business there. I hate commutes! ) We are next to Chateau Elan now and that's a half hour drive....blah!

I'm like a girl, huh?

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
in my neighborhood, someone is selling their house soon. it's like mine (3600), but he's got a walk out basement, so his probably 3600 plus that basement. the backyard is big enough for a second house of equal size and then some. i wish i had that house, because then i'd create a second driveway going around back, and slap a two story garage in there complete with puzzle parking :cheeky:

what kind of business you got? i'd put my garage behind that and write it off as a business expense :cheeky:

1 - 20 of 1955 Posts