Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I want clarification on two things:

How important is torqueing. I ask because I have watched mechanics over the years install parts, change parts, struts, starters, control arms, etc without ever worrying about the factory torque specs. So my question is if most the cars serviced at a mechanic don't get torqued properly then how important is it really to torque things to factory specs?

Second, totally different question, I recently got a 1993 P10 and it has a lot of underbody rust...mainly to the suspension components front and rear. What can I do about it at this point? Should I be worried about it? I didn't realize it until it was on the lift at the mechanics for a starter change.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
First the rust question. You have to determine if it is surface rust or rot. Most suspension pieces will only get surface rust, heavy at times, but just surface rust, which is OK. The bigger concern would be any rot that is occurring to the body where the suspension pieces mount to. That is potentially a problem.

Torque is all important. All of the best mechanics I know use a torque wrench. You can spot the good tire shops who actually torque your lug nuts on. Never let them put them on with an impact wrench.
Every single bolt, nut, and screw on your car has a torque spec. Do a search and find all the people who have broken, or stripped bolts and nuts on their valve covers, headers, or spark plugs. Torque is critical on engine, brake, and suspension. It takes no more time to torque a nut or bolt than to do it by "feel."
I would personally avoid shops that do not use torque wrenches.
A good torque wrench can be purchased at Sears for $70-$100 and if you take care of it, it will last your lifetime.

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It must be a NYC thing because I have been at several shops and none of them have ever used a torque wrench. I gotta admit though I have not been going to high end auto shops. Nevertheless, these are reputable shops in business for a long time. I guess I will buy a torque wrench and go around to the parts that I have replaced after they have been replaced.

Im gonna take another look at the rust. I don't remember seeing it eating away at stuff just all over the rear sway bar, struts, bolts, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
I never used a torque wrench as a mechanic apart from on engine work like cams bearings, head bolts, big ends/main bearing caps...

It's getting that you need to be seen to use a torque wrench for everything nowadays though, in our litigious society.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I got one of those angle wrench heads to put my head/main bolts on with. I will say that I'm going to use it ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts