Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in the title I just bought a 2000 G20 with 31k miles.

The car overall is in spectacular shape. It's black on black with leather interior. Runs, drives and handles great. Not the fastest car on the block, but comfortable and fun to drive.

I am having a couple of issues some of which I've seen on posts here:

• Cruise control doesn't work.
  • Takes several long tries to start
  • Cigarette lighter doesn't work
  • Some scratches in one door
I saw what I think is the solution to the cc problem. I'm scratching my head about the hard starting. Sometimes I hear the pump start when I turn the key and sometimes not. Once it starts it runs fine. I am lightly worried that it will leave me stranded one day.

Looking forward to reading through the forums and participating in the group.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The cigarette lighter was just the fuse. Quick and easy.

I'm thinking the hard starting is the fuel pump. When I turn the key I don't hear any noise like I'd expect from the fuel pump. Then occasionally and inconsistently I hear a strange noise before it fires up.

I would think I should hear something from the fuel pump when I turn the key. Is that normal?

·
Registered
55 Posts
31k miles...that is incredibly low! FWIW, I hear/feel a hum from the gas tank area when I turn the key to the "on" position. Original fuel pump as far as I know.

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
Its also possible your gas tank has rust in it from sitting long periods of time without a lot of fuel in it.. might need to replace the gas tank if that's the case.

We had a car from Atlanta, Georgia (a 1991 Mazda Protege) and kept chasing problems until we finally checked and discovered it was the gas tank rusted in the inside (not at all on the outside). It took forever to check that because an assumption was made that being from the south with no rust, there was no way the inside of the gas tank would be rusted but we were very wrong and had to once again replace the fuel lines, injectors, fuel filter AND gas tank and suddenly all those funky problems went away

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I bought a new fuel pump and strainer. When the tank gets empty I'll take a look and r/r the pump.

The only sound I hear when I turn the key is a very faint two pulse sound. Could be the pump, but I can't tell.

I pulled all the plugs and they look fine. It's nice to be able to pull the plugs so easily. Seems like this will be an easy car to work on. Maybe I've cursed myself...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To close out the hard starting issue. I put the new fuel pump in this morning. All good. Starts right up. Seems like it runs a little better, too.

It did start to stall at about a 1/4 tank. Just a stumble around corners and then it recovered. So I ended up changing it out before empty.

On inspection the fuel tank was surgically clean. Not a spec of anything on the inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts