Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know how this would have happened, but the plastic piece on the sunroof shade was cracked when i bought the car and half of it had been removed. Everything else is in mint condition, and i would like to be able to simply buy a replacement piece of molding to fix the issue..

however, Infinity told me that the only way to fix that piece is to replace the entire sunroof shade, and that meant they would have to remove the sunroof glass to get the shade out.. which seems overly complicated and pricy to me.

If anyone knows where I could purchase this part i would greatly appreciate it.. it looks like its just a generic piece of plastic used in many cars, infinity and non-infinity alike.. so i can't imagine there not being the option to buy this simple piece.

Thanks

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Good move Chris, I bet this is the best solution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well its at the mechanic right now getting the drivers side Ball Joint replaced, but i will send you a picture as soon as its back in my driveway again.

I would be interested in buying that part though if, after looking at the pictures, you believe it would fix the problem.

·
Registered
382 Posts
how funny my P11 had a bad ball joint on the right side also and the handle broken..The handle part u speak of is pinned onto the shade and I think impossible to take off without breaking it in half..I went to a junkyard and broke one off..then i had to glue them together and repaint..was a bitch to do there's a thread about this already

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
I do not know how this would have happened, but the plastic piece on the sunroof shade was cracked when i bought the car and half of it had been removed. Everything else is in mint condition, and i would like to be able to simply buy a replacement piece of molding to fix the issue..

however, Infinity told me that the only way to fix that piece is to replace the entire sunroof shade, and that meant they would have to remove the sunroof glass to get the shade out.. which seems overly complicated and pricy to me.

If anyone knows where I could purchase this part i would greatly appreciate it.. it looks like its just a generic piece of plastic used in many cars, infinity and non-infinity alike.. so i can't imagine there not being the option to buy this simple piece.

Thanks
my car was the same way when i got it and i still havent found a good solution, i made a cf piece for up there but i havent found a good way to mount it yet......i tried mighty putty but it fell in a few spots and i ripped it back down. havent gave it a second go yet because i have a few other things i want to get done more.

a new GA member yay! we now have a roster you can join if you havent yet. its the dirty south sticky in meetings and events. welcome to the Gnet man.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually Chris, that is exactly the part that i need. Probably closest to the color of the second one.

How did you get it, and would you be willing to sell it? and if so how much would you want for it? i believe they (infinity, etc.) is asking like 400 for the sun shade.. plus labor to take it out.. it would prob come to around.. well, a shit ton. It would be nice to buy just the handle itself and get an upholstery shop to attach it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And thanks 00 blk G20t, its a pretty sweet site, and its been pretty helpful so far.

by the way, Im in school in Atlanta at Kennesaw State University, so relatively close

·
⚓All Haters Are Bastards⚓
2,722 Posts
ahh my G also came with that problem. the plastic handle is really crap material. i managed to find a piece at a junkyard in mint condition. the cover was lying in the back seat...my real problem now is replacing it:-\

post teh thread of this problem!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that you can get an upholstery shop to attach it once you get find one. I talked to a shop here in Augusta, and they made it seem like they would have no problem fitting the piece once i found one.. you should talk to a shop that specializes in headliners and such

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
oh, sorry, I can't sell you that piece.. it is broken and cannot be attached.. all the mount points broke off.. I already threw it away because it is useless (there were about 8 attachment plastic points that broke off of it in the crash)..

At first I thought it was usable but realized it was garbage.... sorry if I got your hopes up :(

gluck...

If I get lucky enough to see a p11 in the junkyard, I'll be sure to try and grab that part for you...

·
Registered
382 Posts
listen guys..use liquid nails (clear one) to mount it..it's resistant to heat and its worked for my handle for 4 months now..screw the mounting points and clips just get a syringe (without needle) and use it to pump the liquid nails through the holes where the clips used to be..it really works..i actually put my broken handle back together, painted it, and glued it on..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice. I think im going to go to a junkyard and try to find one and do that.. does anyone know if the sunshade handle piece is a universal piece? i used to have an explorer and the sunshade handle looked nearly the same.. as it does in most cars. the reason i ask is that a p11.. or even a p10 for that matter would be hard to locate in a junkyard..

If not are there any nissan vehicles that use the same piece.. i cant imagine nissan making multiple pieces for something that simple

·
Registered
382 Posts
i highly doubt you will find the handle on another car i went to junkyards looking through nissans/infiniti's to see if there was anything but the problem is all sunroofs are different measurements so that means the handles have different lengths..and good luck finding the piece none of the junkyards wanted to sell me the handle alone to me they would only sell the entire shade with the handle and that is pricey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats what i was worried about, but it wouldn't hurt to go take a look anyway.. and yea, for some reason buying the entire shade is completely overpriced.. it cant possibly consist of anything more than a piece of plywood covered in headliner material, with a cheap plastic handle attached.. but they can charge a bunch for it because its the only way to replace any piece on it that goes wrong.. not to mention that you have to remove the sunroof glass to get the shade out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an extra sunroof shade from the p11 I'm parting out if you need just the shade.

that or post up a photo of what part you want and I can probably get it for you off this part out car
hey just a quick q.. how much did you want for the entire shade?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts