Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 95 G20t which has recently suffered from the common (and dreaded) 5th gear pop-out. I just recently got it fixed (a $500 part here in Canada I might add!) and changed the clutch at the same time. I went with a 2000+ Sentra (B15) SE2.0 clutch as I had heard other SR20DE owners were using this as a basic upgrade to a stock clutch.

Everything went together the first time and clutch felt great (I'm told by my mechanic), but there was a problem with the shifter that required removing the tranny again. The clutch now has a problem. It chatters like a race clutch, and the pedal is really low and grabby on release. It is impossible to slowly release the clutch pedal as it sticks then jumps.

I just want to confirm that others have (or we can use) the Sentra's clutch in the P10 (and I'm assuming some of the P11) cars just like the other SR20DE powered cars (NX, SE-R, 200sx, etc). I figure something went wrong on the second install, and so we have another new 2000+ Sentra clutch on the way.

Thanks in advance!

-Gord

P.S. I am new to this forum. Great to see all the info specific to the G20. The specifics on my car are:

-Black on black leather 95 touring model
-5sp, just replaced 5th, 139k km's
-Stillen intake
-H&R sports w/KYB AGX's
-Hawk HP+ pads
-Custom brake ducting
-16x7 Ace wheels with 205/50R16 RE730's
-tinted windows

The suspension is now *extremely* stiff, almost too much so for our local roads, and comparable to my friends race cars. It is just about perfect on the track. Interesting note, the H&R spring kit we have is supposed to be the first set for the P10 in North America. Ours came from Germany, and given how stiff it is, I don't think many more people here will be choosing it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
2000 clutch disk in P10

Gord:

did you break in the clutch gently for the first 500 miles.

I asked Mike Kojima about putting in a 2000 SE clutch disk in a P10 (my 94 T model) since my clutch is slipping. He said it should fit and to use either a JWT Pressure Plate (if you go turbo later)or stock Pressure plate (if you stay N/A).

I have heard of a few SR20's getting the upgraded 2000 clutch disk without any problems.

good luck tracking down the problem.

Emond

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emond,

Thanks for the info. We haven't really even drove the car other than taking it home and putting it in the garage. The shop (owned by some friends of ours) told us there was a problem which we saw right away when we drove the car, so it has not been broken in at all. The are going to be able to fix it under warranty.

What they had installed was the 2000 clutch disk and pressure plate. We don't plan on going turbo for the time being.

Like I was saying, it went in and seemed to be great the first time, but had to come out again. With the 5th gear problem, we discovered when we opened the case that the 5th gear synchro had 2 teeth knocked off completely. It appeared that some of the metal shavings got down into the internal shift mechanism and caused the side-to-side motion of the shifter to be stiff.

After it was cleaned, the shifter was good, but the clutch wasn't.:depressed Luckily, there appeared to be no damage to any of the actual gears, so those 2 teeth must have been washed to the bottom of the tranny right away.

One thing I did notice about the tranny on the way home was that in 5th gear the shifter no longer moves when applying power. Before we had the pop-out problem, you could visibly see the shifter move in 5th between when coasting (in gear) and applying power.

If you are wondering 'am I going to have this problem', this is a good thing to look for. If you see your shifter move a lot (like 1/4"), then I would start to budget for this problem.

Thanks again for the input!:)

-Gord

·
Registered
117 Posts
i convinced the local nissan dealership to do this (swap?) for me, so i'll have nissan warranty behind it if they do something silly :)

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
does the p11 have the same clutch as the 2000 sentra?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ericdd said:
does the p11 have the same clutch as the 2000 sentra?

this is an old post but i figured i'd answer the question for future reference.

NO!, the P11 clutch has some sort of rubber bushing on the center section as opposed to the sentra which uses springs on the center section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts