Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randomly started to happen. At first I was running on a battery god knows when the last time it was changed. I'm driving down the road and my radio shuts off, no thought to it since sometimes it randomly cuts out and turns back on later. As I continue driving all the sudden all of the lights apear on the dash and it just sounds like my car is bogging down, high RPM transmission is not shifting gears. Car dies in the middle of the road. Get pushed into a side road jump the car and drive it home no problems. 3 days later same thing happens, I figure it's the battery. I get a new battery it's good for about a week and same thing hapens, radio dies, lights on, car sounds like it's stalling, transmission not shifting and just dies.

Anytime I jump it now runs for about a minute and then just dies out once again bogging down until it stalls out. Any ideas what this can be? At this point I have put enough money into the car but willing to put a bit more in to turn around and sell it. Just need help crossing off things on a list to pin point the issue ot see if it's fixing or just selling it as is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a multimeter and check the voltage on the battery terminals while the car is running. If it's not 13-14 volts, your voltage regulator has likely failed. A bad voltage regulator will destroy your battery. You may be able to save your battery if you charge it slowly with a trickle charger or solar charger.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yep, it can also go high voltage like mine did and destroy the battery. The regulator in the alternator usually goes bad in two ways #1 low or no voltage output #2 high voltage output. Should be around 13.7v-14.2v when running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the alternator. Turn the car on and put the positive on the alt terminal and negative on a ground surface, like the alternator body. Turn the DMM to DC Volts, and see what the alternators putting out. If the alternator spikes when its cold, thats okay. Its part of the alternators leveling out process. Once its been running for a while, then it should be at a constant flux between 13-14V. If above 14v, then the alternators voltage regulator is bad, as has been previously stated. You can fix it, but its better just to buy a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts