Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

2001 wheels/tires on 1992?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  cajun100 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a set of used 2000/2001 wheels/tires (15-inch) and putting on my 1992 (currently 14-inch 195-60x14).

Anthing here I should be aware of interms of handling, fitment, clearance, etc.?? My G20 has stock suspension. I realize there would be a change in tire diameter with the switch.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all, for the comments!!!! That 93.5 sure looks good -- so would my cherry 1992.

I would rather go with 205-55 than the 195-65 tires, tho -- anyone else have these or tried them, 'cept Mr. Ryte???? I would rather not have any rubbing ...

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Ouch!!! I saw those wheels on Ebay five days into the bidding and promptly forgot until it was too late. That was a good deal.

I'm about to give up on the wheel change. With the expense and the difficulty of getting it "just right" so I don't have speedometer error, etc. it is probably not worth it to me, an aging speedster with a watchful spouse. Also I have carefully looked at those wheel wells and it looks like going to a 24-inch+ diameter might rule out chains, for example -- which I need 3-4 times a year for short periods.

On top of that, the Tire Rack guys say that if I go plus one I should stick with 15-inch and 205-50 section. I really think that will make this 1992 G20 ride too harshly, no matter what the rubber. Although I found some handsome 14-inch replacement wheels, the cost is more than the handling benefit. I think I will put the money into getting "exactly" the 195-60-14 tires I want this time, get my clean G20 detailed, and live with that.

This is an interesting discussion, though, and I've already learned a few things!

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Interesting observations. I have had some experience with tire sizing, etc. and you are right.

Well, I won't show this thread to my wife, and I may keep looking. It would be nice to fill up that wheel well a little -- I DO have to check carefully on the snow chain problem. Don't want to trash those nice undented fenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.