Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

2001 wheels/tires on 1992?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  cajun100 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a set of used 2000/2001 wheels/tires (15-inch) and putting on my 1992 (currently 14-inch 195-60x14).

Anthing here I should be aware of interms of handling, fitment, clearance, etc.?? My G20 has stock suspension. I realize there would be a change in tire diameter with the switch.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
You shouldn't have any problems or issues. I have 205/55R15's on my 95 and the right front tire rubs, but that because of either a bent control arm or worn suspension parts. As for which, I'm still investigating. If any of your tires rub, you may have the same issues. What size tire are you putting on your car?

#3 ·
My friend I have already dont what you want to do to my 1993.5 G20

I have the 15inch wheels with P195 tires

I called an Infiniti dealership and had it checked out and they said there would be no problem and as I drive today there are still no problems

I highly recomend putting the 6 spoke wheels on like I have, my car gets more compliments than any previous cars I have owned (Merkur, AWD Talon etc. etc.)

People think they are aftermarket wheels, it makes my car look like a 97 or something to people who dont know G20's...:cool:

#13 ·
2002 G20 sport rims

In my opinion, 2002 G20 sport rims might look good on p10. How much are those OE G20 rims? Aren't they expensive? If the price on OE is more than 300 bucks per rim, I would get a 15 inch Volk Racing TE-37 or LE-37K rims. They look nice. They are durable and ultra light weight. It will reduce unsprung weight of G20. I' m very suprised that no G20 lovers choose the Volk rims.

#15 ·
If you go with the stock P11 15" rims, you'll want to go with a 195/60-15. That will keep it in line with the stock P10 14" 195/65-14 and not mess with your speedometer readings. Or you can go to a 205/55-15 and still be within a decent error range with your speedometer.

#16 ·
In fact, the 205/55R15 should be about .5% smaller in diameter than the 195/65R14 tires. So when the speedometer reads 70 mph, you're actually doing 69.5 mph.

#17 ·
Ouch!!! I saw those wheels on Ebay five days into the bidding and promptly forgot until it was too late. That was a good deal.

I'm about to give up on the wheel change. With the expense and the difficulty of getting it "just right" so I don't have speedometer error, etc. it is probably not worth it to me, an aging speedster with a watchful spouse. Also I have carefully looked at those wheel wells and it looks like going to a 24-inch+ diameter might rule out chains, for example -- which I need 3-4 times a year for short periods.

On top of that, the Tire Rack guys say that if I go plus one I should stick with 15-inch and 205-50 section. I really think that will make this 1992 G20 ride too harshly, no matter what the rubber. Although I found some handsome 14-inch replacement wheels, the cost is more than the handling benefit. I think I will put the money into getting "exactly" the 195-60-14 tires I want this time, get my clean G20 detailed, and live with that.

This is an interesting discussion, though, and I've already learned a few things!

#18 ·
I wouldn't worry about speedo error to much. They are not very accurate to being with. I mean they give you a really good idea but. OK for example the 99 G20 came in a standard and touring model. The tires were 195/65 and 195/60 on 15 inch wheels respectively. There is a slight speedo difference there. Do you think Infiniti went and calibrated the speedo for each car? I highly doubt it. In addition the tires from each manufacturer may have different sized tires even given the same 'specs'. Another example. I got a flat tire a while ago on my stock Potenza's. A 195/60-15 tire. The car comes with a full sized spare, brand new. So instead of getting a 2 news tires I just put the old one in the spare space and get one new tire, same specs. You know what the one I bought was slightly taller than the one from the trunk. Same manufacturer, same tire, same specs. Granted they were manufacturered at different times but you can't put a lot of faith in the size specs of tires. You'll never get the exact size to make your speedo 100% precise.

So don't worry about it. Getting close is good enough. ;)

P.S. If you buy all your tires from the same shop and don't mix and match them they will be the same size. I can see someone asking "so if I buy 4 new tires from one place they might not be the same size.?" Answer, they should be. =)

#19 ·
Interesting observations. I have had some experience with tire sizing, etc. and you are right.

Well, I won't show this thread to my wife, and I may keep looking. It would be nice to fill up that wheel well a little -- I DO have to check carefully on the snow chain problem. Don't want to trash those nice undented fenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.