Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have had my 2002 G20 since Jan but wanted to know if anyone is have the same problem I'm having because my dealer (service rep) is telling me this is a known problem. The problem I'm having is when ever my air condition is running and my car is not in gear I hear a loud knocking noise coming from the engine. I have taken the car back 2 times for this problem and on the second trip I was told by my service rep that this is a known problem with G20's and Infiniti does not have a fix for it. IS anyone having the same problem, I get the feeling that I'm being screwed.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Jeffrey

I do not think that should be normal. What it sounds like is the dealer can not find the problem and is hoping you go out of your warranty period.

·
Registered
180 Posts
hate to tell you but the warranty doesn't run out on new G20's for four years.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
As I stated, if the dealer can not find the problem to fix it and Nissan/Infiniti does not promote it as being a TSB or recall, then the dealer (if they are not reputable) will tell you that there is nothing wrong with it so that AFTER THE 4 YEARS IS UP that SeminoleG20 was kind enough to let us know, they will not have to honor the warranty on the repairs if something were to go wrong. This is because they do not know what the problem is therefore they do not know how to fix it.

And sometimes they state the obvious like this dealer did. They sound reputable. They say they have no fix hoping that is does break, and you come back to them when it does so they know what the fix will be for future customers who have your problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
my point was that if it is a know problem than it should have a solution before the 4 year/60K warranty is up. If enough people camplain than Infiniti will most likely fix the problem sooner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to an Infiniti Customer Service rep this morning and she said she has a G20 and it does not have that problem (I have a 5 speed manual drive) and infiniti has no record of this as being a known problem so she was going to call the dealer to find out why they are saying it a known problem with the G20 and why they are not fixing the problem

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the same problem and the dealer just told me that it was normal. If you can get them to fix it tell me what they said it was so I can go and complain about it to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have that sameeeeeeee exact problem.. I have 2k2 G20, 5spd. Everytime I turn the Ac on there is a knocking sound coming out of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based on the responsed from people with 5 speed G20 I thin it safe to say that this may be a problem with the G20 that Infiniti needs to address.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i definitly need to know the answer! i got the 5 speed 2k2 AC sickness!!!!!!!! Anyone with an auto heard this noise? I think we should plan a day to call and send in like 10 or however many complaints in a row so they will hopefully be forced to do something (esp. before the next four years goes by :beard: :asian: :beard: )
Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The lady I talked to at Infiniti Customer service said she had a 2002 G20 but an automatic and she did not have that problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah, but i want to hear from the g20.net members...........

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
hmm i have a 2002 g20 5-speed... whenever i turn the a/c on it makes a noise but i always thought it was the compressor doing its jobb???? yes it does sound like a knocking noise... mmm now i wonder.. could this be teh same noise u guys are talking about?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my G about 3 months ago and in AZ heat you know to crank the ac every day.. Not a week after taking the car I noticed the sound..so I sent it back to the deal thinking the a/c fan was out of balance or something.. 2 days later they call me back to tell me that it was the throw out bearing making the noise and it only happens when the engine is under load(i.e a/c), causing the bearing to "float" and i guess they tested the other g's w/manuals on the lot and they also made the noise.. Otherwise I'm still alittle weary about the noise even though they say don't worry about it..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does the knocking noise only happen once when you start the AC? or it is there all the time?

I have a 02 5spd, and didn't notice any noise except right after I start my car and then start the AC, I can hear a weak click/knock sound. Just once.

It is so weak that I didn't notice it before until I saw your message and paid attention to it.

I think it is normal.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Okay I have a 99' 5-speed and it doesn't make a knocking noise when ever I turn on my A/C but I'll try to listen a little closer next time... maybe you have a different A/C system from the 99's? maybe you should switch to a 99's A/C system and problem solved! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
As the dealer said.. when the engine is bogged down(a/c) and the clutch is engaged, the bearing will make a "floating" noise. Disengage and the noise goes away.. and also there saying its only the '02

g20_sports said:
Does the knocking noise only happen once when you start the AC? or it is there all the time?

I have a 02 5spd, and didn't notice any noise except right after I start my car and then start the AC, I can hear a weak click/knock sound. Just once.

It is so weak that I didn't notice it before until I saw your message and paid attention to it.

I think it is normal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts